Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Got a new toy, I mean tool for Christmas

Sir Henry and I love photography. Share your photography with us all.
clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Got a new toy, I mean tool for Christmas

Post by clovishound » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:06 pm

The Pup got me a gimbal head for my tripod. Got my first chance to take it on an outing. We were supposed to go to the Birds of Prey Center yesterday, but they are closed for another couple weeks. I ended up just going to a local park that I have an annual pass to. Got a couple decent shots. I need to work on a few things. I may go back a bit more often. Wife is doing well enough I am comfortable leaving for a few hours.

Anyway, I was impressed with the ease of use of the gimbal. It keeps things very steady, and makes handling that big, heavy lens easy. The only issue is hauling it around from spot to spot. I'm itching to try some birds in flight.

_DAB3669-2.jpg

_DAB3604.jpg

_DAB3667.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Got a new toy, I mean tool for Christmas

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:40 pm

Beautiful, CH. I love reading your posts as you get better and better at photography. Thanks.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:45 pm

Nice shots. I like the second and last pictures the best.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:06 pm

Great photographs. The second photograph is my favorite in the bunch. Excellent composition.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:14 pm

Heavens, what amazing pics. Publishing quality.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:09 pm

love the ducks my friend
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:41 am

I've got to go back and shoot some more there. I had some problems with shooting the ducks. First of all, they were very skittish. They would bolt at nearly anything, from maint running a blower to heavy booted photographers. I also got complacent about shutter speeds since I was shooting from a tripod. The ducks were moving fairly slowly, but I let my shutter speeds dip down to around 1/125 of a second and that introduced a little bit of blur. It's not evident until you blow them up. The one I posted is not quite tack sharp in the ducks. Good enough for posting, but not good enough for the wall.

I was fortunate enough to get pretty close to the white heron, but there was a lot of trash in the way. Still, if you could go get perfect photos the first time out with new equipment, everyone would have perfect images.

Just for fun, I tried something artsy. Perhaps not to everyone's taste.

_DAB3625.jpg
And another heron picture.

_DAB3655.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:32 am

Nothing in the world is more photogenic than a Wood Duck. I’ve never seen one in the wild so really appreciate your picture. Love the rippley reflection in the water.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:56 pm

The Pup and I made it out to Magnolia Plantation today. The wading birds were out in force.

_DAB3767.jpg
_DAB3812.jpg
_DAB3786.jpg
3 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:16 pm

Got up this morning at 5:30 and went over to Magnolia again. They have an early opening for members twice a month. I got there at daybreak with unusually cold weather for the area, 28 degrees. Lots of birds out, and different species than what I usually see there.

First off was a small group of roseate spoonbills.
_DAB4026.jpg
Next, an ibis.
_DAB4184.jpg
Then, a snowy egret, I think.
_DAB4297.jpg
And lastly, a bald eagle. I'm just starting out trying birds in flight. I've got a lot to learn. This is one of a pair of eagles that had a group of photographers under their tree. I was on the other side of the rice field and too far away to get good shots. I thought about going over and joining them (the photographers, not the birds as they were engaged in activities of their own), but decided to stay put and try and get some in flight pics when they flew off. Fortunately, they came nearly overhead.

_DAB4245.jpg
2 x