Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Is there a rationale for...

Sir Henry and I love photography. Share your photography with us all.
EasyEd
Cowhand
Canada

Is there a rationale for...

Post by EasyEd » Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:07 pm

Hey All,

not having a sticky in the photography forum explaining how to post a picture?

Covering...

1) linking from a website

2) posting an image from ones PC or phone

3) any requirements as to image size

4) troubleshooting e.g. wrong orientation

Needless to say I waded through this a couple years ago but haven't posted an image since. So yes I have forgot. I do not host my images elsewhere like on Flickr and would mostly post from my phone or laptop.

Any help appreciated...

Thanks!

-Ed-
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Is there a rationale for...

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:57 pm

EasyEd wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:07 pm
Any help appreciated...

Thanks!

-Ed-
Select the Full Editor and Preview button to create your post. There is a Tab near the bottom of the window called Attachments. Select it. A button to Add Files will appear. Click it. It will open a folder on your computer. Navigate to the photo, select it and click the Open Button. When the filename appears, you can select to Place Inline. This will put the image in your post where your cursor is positioned. If you add a File Comment, it will appear as a caption for the photo.

Photos that have a 4:3 ratio (640×480, 800×600, 960×720, 1024×768, 1280×960, 1400×1050, 1440×1080, 1600×1200, 1856×1392, 1920×1440, and 2048×1536) should not appear distorted. It's best to choose 800x600 for photos on the web. If you do post a photo that is long and thin, you'll have better results if the long side is the height.

Let us know how you make out.

You can also post images you find on the web by selecting the img icon and pasting the url between the tags: "[ img] copy your photo url here [ /img]".

Good luck
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

EasyEd
Cowhand
Canada

Post by EasyEd » Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:14 pm

Hey All,

Thank you! Now for trial and error. I did try to use attachments but got a yellow warning that image dimensions could not be determined (or verbiage to that effect). So it went nowhere. Also the file I was trying to upload is a jpg - so why the forum couldn't read image size - I have no idea.

-Ed-
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:57 pm

go to your picture processing software .... resize the JPG picture size to 640X480 .... save the picture and try to post it
0 x

EasyEd
Cowhand
Canada

Post by EasyEd » Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:35 pm

Hey All,

I am winning but dealing with softness issues...

-Ed-
0 x

EasyEd
Cowhand
Canada

Post by EasyEd » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:38 pm

Hey All,

It appears I did figure a way to not lose sharpness getting an image onto this forum.

What I was doing was transferring a jpg image via Bluetooth to my phone. But then the forum software would not recognize a Fuji jpg as a jpg. The error was apparently could not determine dimensions IIRC. Well krap. So tried downloading some photo editors from the web via playstore. But then the photo editors either during import or export "messed" with the jpg usually softening it. Also I noticed sometimes the forum software softened the image. So one program I tried was Snapseed for Android and it imported the jpg correctly but when I exported it and tried to load into the forum software - softness at either the export from Snapseed or import into forum software stages. I finally told Snapseed to simply save a copy an then loaded it into forum software - sharpness was preserved. So apparently problem solved. But why is there a problem in the first place. I thought jpg was a universally recognized cast in stone file format but apparently not. So beware!

-Ed-
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:22 pm

EasyEd wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:38 pm
I thought jpg was a universally recognized cast in stone file format but apparently not.

Glad you've found a solution/workaround, Ed.

The JPG photo format is a compression algorithm for photos in which the degree of compression can be adjusted, allowing for a smaller file size, but with diminished image quality. JPEG files usually achieve a 10:1 compression of the file size with minimal loss in image quality.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

EasyEd
Cowhand
Canada

Post by EasyEd » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:49 pm

Hey All,

Thanks I knew most of that but I still think the essential information should always all be there.

-Ed-
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:43 pm

Ed, until someone asks for it, I often don't know there is a need for it. I will sticky CT_Shooter's instructions. Call it lack of time on my part usually. Your efforts to show us wonderful photographs are appreciated.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member