Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

I'm taking photographs again.

Sir Henry and I love photography. Share your photography with us all.
Nam Vet
Cowhand
United States of America

I'm taking photographs again.

Post by Nam Vet » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:10 pm

Haven't picked up a camera in 2 years. After 14 rounds of chemo half my liver cut out and 2 feet of colon removed was to weak to pick up a camera.But now been cancer free for almost 2 years. A week after I stopped chemo Covid hit which made me and my wonderful wife, who was my guardian angel afraid to press our luck so we stayed close to home. So no pictures.
Last month we decided to venture out into the world and take a trip to St Augustine FL. These are my first photos in over 2 years. Can't photograph people anymore everyone is to parinoined. So I decided to photograph doorway and alleyway.

I would appreciate any comments good or bad on these photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
Semper Paratus

Happily married
DAV
MOPH
VVA
NRA
1st Inf. Div 1/16 Iron Rangers Mech Recon Plt.1968-69.

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: I'm taking photographs again.

Post by Ernie » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:11 pm

I like them. Good clarity, color and balance. My photos are made without thought of any of those things. :lol:
1 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:32 pm

Great job. I really like the last one.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:52 pm

First of all that’s an incredible idea for subjects.

Your color photos are amazing, what vivid colors there and the B&W is stunning.

Nice work.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:49 pm

Great pics NV!!đź‘Ťđź‘Ť
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

EasyEd
Cowhand
Canada

Post by EasyEd » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:55 pm

Hey All,

I hope you beat the cancer...

Nice images I especially like the second one.

I look at images like these and immediately wonder - what camera what lens (50 mm equivalent I think) SOOC or post processed HDR?

I'm always curious about the process.

I can see you are really careful about framing and composition - great job on all three of them.

-Ed-
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:10 am

I like them all. Well done.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Nam Vet
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Nam Vet » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:49 am

EasyEd,thank you for your kind words. I use Nikon D60 with a 18-55mm lens. I shoot in RAW so I can process the image right in the camera lightroom. The photos were taken with the lens at 45mm. I try to follow the rule of 3rd's. Don't use any programs outside of the camera. I was amazed at the things that can be done right in the camera when first started to shoot in RAW years ago. Hopefully this year I'm going to upgrade to a newer Nikon. My D60 is over 20 years old.
0 x
Semper Paratus

Happily married
DAV
MOPH
VVA
NRA

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:54 pm

When you upgrade, you will notice a big difference in the new cameras. Even the entry level Nikon DSLRs and mirrorless cameras are around 24 megapixel. I'm sort of lusting after the high resolution end. The higher end full frame sensor cameras are 45.7 megapixel. I suspect that would be more like medium format in the film days. I loved my dad's old Rollei TLR and those big negatives.

I shoot in RAW and then import into Lightroom on the computer. All the info is still in the image and you can make all the adjustments you want on the computer. Just like I used to do in the darkroom, but without the smell of hypo on my hands the rest of the day.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Nam Vet
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Nam Vet » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:05 pm

Maybe it's me but I never can get my B&W tones in digital the same as when I used my Nikon F or Mamiya C330 developed them in my darkroom.
Seems to get better tones if I first shoot in color the transfer them to B&W in my camera lightroom. If I had the room and some of my old cameras I would still be using film.
Back in late 1968 just got back from Never Never Land I bought a used Hasselblad also bought a new Vette with a 427 Rat motor. Spent all my money but wanted a pair of Hooker headers, sooooooooo I traded the Hasselblad the a pair of Hooker headers. I don't remember ever taking a picture with the Hasselblad. Looking back I should have kept the camera, It would have saved me lots speeding tickets.
If you look at my post a few B&W the photo of the old lady with a cape was taken with Nikon F and developed in my darkroom in the 70's.
2 x
Semper Paratus

Happily married
DAV
MOPH
VVA
NRA