Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

I'm taking photographs again.

Sir Henry and I love photography. Share your photography with us all.
EasyEd
Cowhand
Canada

Re: I'm taking photographs again.

Post by EasyEd » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:57 pm

Hey All,

Nam Vet there is nothing wrong with an older camera. Photography is far more about the person behind the camera than the camera itself.

So you do all processing in camera and not on a PC? I don't know the D60 but I didn't realize that it has in camera processing. To be honest I'm moving in this direction myself. I'm working on using in camera film emulations with any modifications done in camera to the emulation. The main disadvantage I see is with respect to local adjustments - can't do them as the whole image is affected - but that said I can do lots of adjustments. I don't for now see this as a huge problem.

I use a fujifilm X-T4 a higher end APS-C. The D60 is APS-C as well I believe. Before this I used a fujifilm X-E1 that I still use time to time. Before that a panasonic before that Minolta xd5 and others along the way. What I luv about these Fuji cameras is all the manual adjustments available in this day an age of digital. It is also the right size weight shape for my hands. I've 3 zoom lenses covering from 10 to 200 (15 to 300 full frame) mm. I wish I could afford/justify a Fuji GFX medium format - lottery come through for me! :)

Here is the fujifilm link for the X-T4 film emulations. Camera info is there too.

https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/products/c ... re-colors/

Here is a site with LOTS of of emulations for Fuji.

https://fujixweekly.com/fujifilm-x-trans-iv-recipes/

How these are set in camera is shown - and the user can modify them further. I hope to find a set to store in camera for use in different situations. So far I don't see an Ektachrome slide film emulation - which has long been my favorite.

I don't know how wedded to Nikon you are but you may want to have a look at Fuji. The older the digital model the fewer the emulations of course.

As for me I have been into photography off and on for near 60 years starting way back in 4H. More off than on unfortunately/foolishly but am back into it. I will have to share a few pics.

I've rambled on a bit but these emulations are exciting to me right now.

-Ed-

An edit - I do have some PC based post processing programs but the less I need to use them the better. And yes I shoot raw and jpg.
1 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:33 pm

Wow, I knew there was a lot of different color films but never realized how many were available. When I started I used plus x and tri x B&W, couldn't afford color and it was also too difficult to process in a basement darkroom. Used mostly some kind of Fujicolor print film later on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6TERVMCUhI
1 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:52 pm

There are those who still shoot B&W film. Many of them scan them into their computer and then print them on an inkjet printer. Perhaps you should rethink not using an editing program on the computer. Like I said in another post, if you shoot digital in color, you can convert to B&W in the software on the computer. At this point you can control the density of each individual color independently. The control you have in something like Lightroom or Photoshop is far greater than what you could do in the darkroom. Quicker too.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Nam Vet
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Nam Vet » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:32 pm

Ed,a friend has a program called Picasa easy to install and has many features to enhance photos.He told me to come out of the dark ages and download it. Searched Google and it was discontinued but can still be downloaded and used offline. Going to download it latter today.
ED your knowledge of in camera film emulations is above my pay grade.

All you guys who posted have far more knowledge of today's photography then I. So be prepared for lots of questions from me. I just know how to take photographs the composition, rule of 3rd's and such. Guess I'm just old school and hard headed.
Anyone see the movie "Kodachrome" a good movie starring ED Harris. About the last days of Kodachrome being developed.
1 x
Semper Paratus

Happily married
DAV
MOPH
VVA
NRA
1st Inf. Div 1/16 Iron Rangers Mech Recon Plt.1968-69.

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:58 pm

Nam Vet wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:32 pm
Ed,a friend has a program called Picasa easy to install and has many features to enhance photos.He told me to come out of the dark ages and download it. Searched Google and it was discontinued but can still be downloaded and used offline. Going to download it latter today.
ED your knowledge of in camera film emulations is above my pay grade.

All you guys who posted have far more knowledge of today's photography then I. So be prepared for lots of questions from me. I just know how to take photographs the composition, rule of 3rd's and such. Guess I'm just old school and hard headed.
Anyone see the movie "Kodachrome" a good movie starring ED Harris. About the last days of Kodachrome being developed.
I'm using Lightroom. Unfortunately, it's a subscription. You might want to check out Nikon's NX software. It's a free download from Nikon. Has a lot of similarities to Lightroom.

Haven't seen the movie, but I heard the song. :roll:
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Nam Vet
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Nam Vet » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:54 pm

Downloaded Picasa and glad I did. It's simple to use even for a nontechnical person like me. Now I don't have spend time actually composing my photos
as I take them. The doorway photo took me 20 minutes and had to ask the people across the street if I could stand in their doorway to take it. With Picasa I now can crop and have complete control of my photos. I'm like a kid with a new toy.
1 x
Semper Paratus

Happily married
DAV
MOPH
VVA
NRA
1st Inf. Div 1/16 Iron Rangers Mech Recon Plt.1968-69.

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:42 pm

It seems that you picked interesting doors, as if a story lies behind them. Some doors are inviting. They seem to call for a look inside.
2 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).