Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Boneyard beach

Sir Henry and I love photography. Share your photography with us all.
Nam Vet
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Boneyard beach

Post by Nam Vet » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:28 pm

All beautiful photographs.
0 x
Semper Paratus

Happily married
DAV
MOPH
VVA
NRA
1st Inf. Div 1/16 Iron Rangers Mech Recon Plt.1968-69.

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:19 pm

The pup and I went back again this morning. Think we got some good shots. I took a closeup of some weathered grain on a piece of driftwood. Didn't notice the faces until I got home and transferred the picture to the computer. There is one main face, but the Pup pointed out a couple secondary ones, I didn't notice.
_DAB0366.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:21 pm

Very interesting! Great shot!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:01 pm

It was a beautiful sunrise on the beach. We had some cloud cover this morning, unlike the last two trips.
_DAB0302.jpg
_DAB0194.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:28 pm

Those are definitely worthy of frames!
I would put them on MY wall in a heartbeat.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:11 am

4:00 AM Ugghhh.

Looks like we're making another trip to the beach. Got a new Nikon Z5 to try out!
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:58 am

I almost always add saturation and sometimes brilliance. I do it almost to the point of making my pictures surreal. You did a fantastic job.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:58 am

Had a great trip. Unfortunately, the forecast clouds did not appear to provide some added color. New Nikon was great, although there are a few features I need to become more familiar with.
_DAB0295-HDR-3.jpg
0 x

EasyEd
Cowhand
Canada

Post by EasyEd » Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:38 pm

Hey All,

How you liking the z5? What did you use before? I like the image you captured with it - not overdone or garrish. Would look good in B&W. Do you use picture controls at all?

I'm a Fuji guy and use my X-T4 an sometimes my older X-E1. I'll have to post a pic or two. I really like using the Fuji film emulations.

Look forward to more pics.

-Ed-
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:10 am

EasyEd wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:38 pm
Hey All,

How you liking the z5? What did you use before? I like the image you captured with it - not overdone or garrish. Would look good in B&W. Do you use picture controls at all?

I'm a Fuji guy and use my X-T4 an sometimes my older X-E1. I'll have to post a pic or two. I really like using the Fuji film emulations.

Look forward to more pics.

-Ed-
So far, I'm loving the Z5, however I've only had it out twice, so still on the honeymoon. It is geared more towards the more serious amateur, so it doesn't have some of the simple modes, like sports mode or landscape mode. You can program up to three customized modes, but I just leave it in aperture preferred and keep an eye on my shutter speed. A quick turn of the dial can open or close the aperture and give me the combo I need.

The picture I posted required extensive post processing. This is mainly due to the fact that I'm shooting at sunrise, with extensive backlighting. This picture is actually a composite of 5 pictures. I shot in auto bracket mode and took 5 pictures in 1 stop increments then merged them in Lightroom using the HDR merge function. It is designed to increase dynamic range and can help with detail in deep shadows, and color density in bright highlights. I found that the biggest improvement in my pictures using this technique was in the photos that I didn't think had that great a disparity in the dynamic range. FYI this is a brand new technique to me, just tried it out for the first time on this trip. The Z5 will do HDR in camera, but it only uses 2 images. I opted for post processing HDR. BTW you can do this with any digital camera as long as you can take bracketed pictures of the same static scene on a tripod. You will need processing software that utilizes HDR merge.

Yes, this picture does well in B&W. I have another B&W from this trip that is even better, but looks best printed, rather than on the screen. This version is a little dark. I think I was going for the look of the darkness of early sunrise. I have since reworked it, but didn't feel like going back and exporting it again as a JPG.
_DAB0295-HDR-4.jpg
Here's one that really shows the clarity offered by HDR processing. Well, at least it does as full resolution files on my computer and printed. The smaller JPGs posted here are not up to the full rez copies.
_DAB0815-HDR.jpg
0 x