Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Boneyard beach

Sir Henry and I love photography. Share your photography with us all.
EasyEd
Cowhand
Canada

Re: Boneyard beach

Post by EasyEd » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:39 pm

Hey All,

I like the black and white you just posted an I'm glad you dealt with the distracting tree trunk goin out of the scene at the top - makes the image much better.

As for the color image below the black and white - as nice as it is to many - the HDR haloing artifact on the tree trunk an branches I think does detract from the image - for me anyway. I have used a couple different HDR programs over the years and really like what they do - sometimes - but once you start noticing the artifacts it gets hard - for me anyway - to like them as much. To me HDR is another tool in the toolbox absolutely excellent in some situations an not so much in others. Maybe I'm overly sensitive but I know semi-pro an pro photographers will pickup on this stuff way faster than me. I hope you are not offended I'm just pointing out what I see.

My X-T4 will do HDR as well and I have to admit I've never tried HDR on it. I just know it uses three images. I can do brackets (up to 7 images) exposure or focus as well but have not tried them.

Right now I'm looking at alternatives to HDR and the best one so far is luminosity masking.

Here is a vid on HDR vs luminosity masks.

https://youtu.be/VWhBcMxo1ew

Since you have Photoshop you could get right into this.

I have no intention of buying into adobe an so am looking into alternative work flows to do luminosity masks. Likely an appropriate raw converter an affinity photo. Maybe stand alone capture one an affinity photo. The challenge I have is that my X-T4 has an x-trans sensor and not a Bayer like your Nikon. This complicates things.

I enjoy your images an look forward to more than just boneyard beach.

-Ed-
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:48 pm

EasyEd wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:39 pm
Hey All,

I like the black and white you just posted an I'm glad you dealt with the distracting tree trunk goin out of the scene at the top - makes the image much better.

As for the color image below the black and white - as nice as it is to many - the HDR haloing artifact on the tree trunk an branches I think does detract from the image - for me anyway. I have used a couple different HDR programs over the years and really like what they do - sometimes - but once you start noticing the artifacts it gets hard - for me anyway - to like them as much. To me HDR is another tool in the toolbox absolutely excellent in some situations an not so much in others. Maybe I'm overly sensitive but I know semi-pro an pro photographers will pickup on this stuff way faster than me. I hope you are not offended I'm just pointing out what I see.

My X-T4 will do HDR as well and I have to admit I've never tried HDR on it. I just know it uses three images. I can do brackets (up to 7 images) exposure or focus as well but have not tried them.

Right now I'm looking at alternatives to HDR and the best one so far is luminosity masking.

Here is a vid on HDR vs luminosity masks.

https://youtu.be/VWhBcMxo1ew

Since you have Photoshop you could get right into this.

I have no intention of buying into adobe an so am looking into alternative work flows to do luminosity masks. Likely an appropriate raw converter an affinity photo. Maybe stand alone capture one an affinity photo. The challenge I have is that my X-T4 has an x-trans sensor and not a Bayer like your Nikon. This complicates things.

I enjoy your images an look forward to more than just boneyard beach.

-Ed-
I'm not offended in the least in someone pointing out legitimate issues with my photographs. I had not noticed the halos in this photograph until you said something. There were a couple photos that I noticed something similar, particularly in some heavily backlit images. Some were in pics that were not run through HDR merging.

I'm looking forward to getting some good images under my belt. Having a camera better suited to me is a confidence builder, although I am aware that it's about the image, not the camera. There is another picture that I have just gotten through editing and printing that is the best B&W that I have ever done. Not that it is any great photograph per se, but it feels good to me. Of course, the new picture smell hasn't worn off it yet. Unfortunately, I have found that many of the photos don't look nearly as good in the lower resolution versions appropriate to upload to a forum vs a full rez picture to a good printer, or to the screen.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

EasyEd
Cowhand
Canada

Post by EasyEd » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:24 pm

Hey All,

Some images straight out of camera (SOOC) no post processing.

The point to these is just to show different film emulations.

1. Provia
2021_0303_11401700-01.jpeg
2. Eternal Bleach Bypass
2021_0303_11402300-01.jpeg
3. Classic Chrome
2021_0303_11403200-01.jpeg
4. Provia with blue cranked up plus other adjustments - all in camera
2021_0303_11405500-01.jpeg
All images were within a minute or so of each other. These are just to show a small part of what you can get SOOC not using Lightroom or Photoshop or any other post processing software.
I can easily see using an "appropriate" film sim an then just minor adjustments in post on a computer.
I can always get a pure raw file and do everything in post but prefer getting close to final while out in the field. Really excited I found this kind of workflow
-Ed-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:33 pm

Very interesting what can now be done with technology. Thanks for posting the photos and the explanation.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:46 pm

With time on my hands, and unable to go out and take new pictures, I have been going back and reworking some of my earlier images. I redid this one from my first outing at the beach from scratch, and think it is worth revisiting.
DSC_0043.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:52 pm

Really nice!
Almost an erie feeling. Interesting.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:08 pm

It can be a little eerie with the trees in the surf. It is also quite beautiful, especially when the sun is coming up. It would be worth getting up early and driving an hour just to see the sunrise there, even without taking pictures. The activity of taking the pictures definitely distracts one from appreciating the beauty. I have consciously taken a moment or two there just to enjoy the experience.

_DAB0225.jpg
1 x