Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Digital photography course

Sir Henry and I love photography. Share your photography with us all.
clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Digital photography course

Post by clovishound » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:09 pm

The Pup and I decided to take a digital photography course at a local art school. It meets once a week for an hour with a total of 5 classes. Turns out she and I are the only students, so we are getting some individual instruction. Instructor is a photography professor at the local military college. We are both very impressed with him.

Had our second class this week. We are taking a photography outing each week to have photos ready for the next class. He didn't give us any specific assignment other than to take pictures and bring them ALL in. We visited the Beidler forest last week, and went to Cypress Gardens yesterday. I am playing around with editing, which will be the focus of the last half or so of the classes. Since I have experience with darkroom work, I am familiar with a lot of the processes in the editors, but a lot of it is Greek to me. I am able to generally improve the originals anywhere from a little to a bunch.

Here are a few I took.
watersnake.JPG
bfly2_012.JPG
bfly3_013.JPG
bfly4_014.JPG
On our first outing to the Beidler forest, the Pup blew me out of the water with her pics. I was a little afraid that if I started taking pictures with her that it would turn into a competition, and since I had a fair amount of experience with photography in the past, that it would be one sided. It is one sided, but she has the eye for it, as opposed to me. I'm good with that. One reason I got out of photography was that I felt my pictures weren't up to par with the amount of interest, experience and effort I put into it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Digital photography course

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:34 pm

I like the butterflies!
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:09 am

Outstanding.

I am amazed at how parallel our thought processes run. :)

I used to sit quietly in our Virginia garden for hours, shooting shots of the butterflies, bees, various lizards, and flowers. I have a shot of mushrooms in my wallpaper file. I wish I could find a digital photography class to learn to use the very nice camera I bought. (First I need to buy better lenses.) :?
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:47 pm

What camera do you have? The instructor has several Nikons. He has one of the new mirrorless Z series. Nice camera. Lens is old school in that it is heavily built. I'm sure it's a high dollar lens. The DX lenses on our Nikons provide very good images, but construction is not terribly robust. Then again, they were pretty cheap when bought as part of a bundle with the camera. I got the D3400 camera bundled with two lenses cheaper than the two lenses would have been if I had bought them separately. The only issue I have with the Nikon is they have a different type of RAW file that many editing programs will not open.

There are a number of options in our area for classes. You might check your local community college. They often have adult education classes either very reasonably or free. Out local CC allows old folks like you and me to take classes free.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:44 pm

clovishound wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:47 pm
What camera do you have?

I have a Nikon D700 body I bought from a member on one of the two forums (we) belong to. I was told that the Nikon lenses I had from the two previous cameras (D40s?) Would work with the body. They do, sort of. I get great pics when they work, other times they don't seem to "talk to the camera.". I have the regular standard lens, and the telephoto zoom that came in the "kit" I bought some twenty, to twenty five years ago.

Eventually, I'll look into better lenses, and the class.

There are a number of options in our area for classes. You might check your local community college. They often have adult education classes either very reasonably or free. Out local CC allows old folks like you and me to take classes free.

I might try the cc, just to have something to do once I am up and running again. There is plenty here to take pics of. :lol:
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:07 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:34 pm
I like the butterflies!
Unfortunately, they have a limited number of species in the butterfly house now. When we visited years ago they had a ton of different ones. They had to close the park a few years back due to hurricane damage. When they reopened, the variety of species went down to just a handful. Still, it's a great place to visit. Inexpensive entry fee, a beautiful section of swamp and gardens. They even have boats you can take out on the swamp. Several scenes in the Patriot were filmed there.

Here are a few more flutterbys.

bfly1_011.JPG
bfly5_020.JPG
beidler_021.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:09 am

Well, we had our last class this week. Instructor told the Pup she should look into selling her photos. We've been kicking around a few ideas on that, but need to get a backlog of images to work with first. Cart, horse........

I'm thinking about twisting my best friend's arm into running the boat down a couple of local creeks that have an abundance of wildlife and see what we can get.
0 x