Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Monday and Tuesday hunt

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Monday and Tuesday hunt

Post by bandit1250 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:49 am

Monday late afternoon hunt with member Swigs we saw quite a few squirrels and deer on the drive to our hunting area. The squirrels are not easy to hunt this year with the poor nut crop we have in locations where it is usually good hunting. They are not in the bigger woods where it is a rifleman's area to like to hunt squirrels. They are in the grown up brush filled small creek bottoms that all you usually see is a glimpse of gray and they are gone in the under brush. They are feeding on the little red berries that are on the thorn bushes in the area and it is a not a nice place to hunt in and a rifle is not what you really need to be using. So member and friend Swigs went to the big woods to use his 17 Mach 2 rifle and I went to the brush filled area with the Remington 1100 12 ga. semi-auto. I saw several squirrels cross the road I was on and went in the brush. I went in and in no time I saw a few flashes of gray that disappeared to fast and no clear shot. I followed a deer trail along the small creek where I could walk quiet and ended up getting three squirrels for the afternoon but saw quite a few more and also heard a few barking. Swigs never saw a squirrel in the big woods and covered quite a bit of hilly terrain walking with a very sore heel on his foot. Tuesday we went to the range to shoot a few rifles he has never fired. Range full of guys shooting. Went to the second range and same thing. We waited there for a while thinking they may soon be finished. Didn't happen. We could have filmed the funniest home videos for a TV episode with the some of the things these guys were doing. So went back out hunting and it was a bust. Nothing was moving and it looked like the weather was going to make a quick change. We headed back to my place so Swigs could get headed home early for his 2 hour drive. We had a good time while he was here. If I get out any more this week it will be shot gun hunting in the thickets.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Monday and Tuesday hunt

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:35 am

Back in the day, I often went out of my way to hunt squirrels in the thick stuff with my 22 handguns. When I got a shot, it was up close, perfect for a handgun. I used the same stalking technique I used for deer hunting with a handgun - sit or stand a lot more than move and when I did move, it was at a snail's pace. Took a lot of experience to get it right, but once learned, it paid off big. Actually became my favorite kind of hunting.

As for the range thing, I do understand. Our club range opens to the general public two weeks prior to deer rifle season so the once a year shooters can check their rifles for the sake of being sighted in. I support this; it's a good thing, but from experience (some very spooky), we learned not to visit the range for those two weeks. Our deer rifle season opens this weekend, so we hope to get back to the range, next week.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:28 pm

a Remington 1100 makes a fine hunter for anything walking or flying in our part of the country .... is yours one that can accommodate choke tubes .. :?: .. ours was built in Dec of '77 .... it can only chamber 2 3/4" shells and a fixed choke .... Carlson did a fine job of fitting the barrel for choke tubes to accommodate Rem chokes ....
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:35 pm

JEBar wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:28 pm
a Remington 1100 makes a fine hunter for anything walking or flying in our part of the country .... is yours one that can accommodate choke tubes .. :?: .. ours was built in Dec of '77 .... it can only chamber 2 3/4" shells and a fixed choke .... Carlson did a fine job of fitting the barrel for choke tubes to accommodate Rem chokes ....
No vent rib or screw in chokes. 30" full choke 2 3/4" chamber. Feels like an anvil after carrying my 28" full choke 870. The 870 is a "corn cob" model made in 1953 that still looks new.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:41 pm

30" full choke, it should be dandy for bushytails .... should you ever decide to explore having the barrel cut down and / or threading it to accommodate choke tubes, I can highly recommend Carlson
0 x