Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Make a change or quit

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Make a change or quit

Post by bandit1250 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:04 pm

I have arthritis in my fingers now and have a problem gripping things. I had always skinned my squirrel from the tail by standing on the tail and pulling the hide off using the back legs to grip. Now my fingers have lost their grip and I struggle skinning them and almost was ready to give it up.
Then I decided to try to hold the squirrel tail in a vise c-clamped to a piece of board fastened to a stump off the Magnolia tree in the yard. Now I won't have to bend way down to step on the tail and make my fingers hurt pulling the hides off. I used a pair of pliers to grab both hing feet at once and then pull toward me until the hide is pulled clear up to the neck. Then I use the pliers to pull the two pieces from the hind legs while the squirrel is still held by the vise. Then I work the two front legs out of the hide and then snip off all four feet and cut the head off. Works really good and I plan on welding one up to fit my trailer hitch on my truck and use the vise to skin my squirrels before heading home after the hunt. So maybe I can squeeze a few more years of chasing my favorite game animal before hanging it up.

Image[

2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Make a change or quit

Post by JEBar » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:08 pm

a country boy will more than survive , they will thrive 8-)
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:50 pm

And I wish you many more years of hunting your favorite game animal. Yeah, looking back on my many years of hunting, my best memories are of beautiful fall days roaming the squirrel woods. Good times, for sure.
1 x

Lyman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Lyman » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:00 am

More than one way to skin a squirrel. :D
0 x
NRA & 2nd Amendment Supporter. Lyman is my middle name.

Mgderf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mgderf » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:46 am

Where there's a will, there's a way.
0 x