Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Nutria with the Henry .22

Scoter
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Nutria with the Henry .22

Post by Scoter » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:01 pm

My son put his Henry to work on some nutria in eastern NC last week. Ended up with around 30 of them. I wish there was a $6 bounty on each tail like in Louisiana.
henry22.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Nutria with the Henry .22

Post by HenryFan » Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:49 am

I thought they were a Louisiana problem, I did not know they have spread east.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:14 am

Nice work on them. We have friends in NC who say they can be problematic.

I'm curious. Can / do you eat them?
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:12 am

They could be what we once had around here in SW Virginia. My cats did not like them, lol. Didn't have many, but I did not know what there were. No one else knew either when I tried to describe them. I don't mind that they are long gone.
0 x
NRA Member

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:17 am

Good on your son for eliminating problematic vermin.
Welcome to the forum.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:49 pm

Scoter wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:01 pm
My son put his Henry to work on some nutria in eastern NC last week. Ended up with around 30 of them. I wish there was a $6 bounty on each tail like in Louisiana.
I'm curious what brand and .22 ammo type is being used? Always an outright kill?

I used to use CCI .22 MiniMag on nutria here. I never missed one, but the kills weren't always immediately deadly. Sometimes they would suffer bawling like cow. I could sometimes see the bullet exit the nutria leaving a bloody tracer through and under the water. I once shot a nutria that ran off leaving behind the lower jaw bone. I've since decided that .22 was not the best for taking nutria. I now use a .30-30. There have been no suffering nutria since, they are one and done.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:28 pm

Must be the Muskrat’s bigger cousin. We had muskrats in south east Virginia when I was growing up. They weren’t much of a problem that I knew of.
But I can see where a version of them on steroids could be troublesome.
I think the new CCI uppercut 22 lr. Might be a good round to put them out of your misery.
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:32 pm

I remember muskrats as a boy living on the east coast.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:54 pm

We had issues with Nutria our last years in VA, fishing in the reservoirs, lakes and even ponds around us. Our friend owned a 500 acre Black Angus farm and the Nutria were destroying his four ponds on the farm, digging into the dams at the water lines. He told me to shoot every one I saw. I always had either the .45 or .40 along for Coyotes, as they would take a calf if they could get them young, away from the moms, and they were fair game as well. The main pond held trophy bass, so in exchange for permission to fish his farm ponds, we performed some vermin control.

The reason we loved the pond so much, Tina's trophy bass, 25-1/4".
Yes, catch, photo, and release. She caught the same bass about a year later at 26". Markings matched exactly.

twenty five and a quarter inches.jpg

(I caught a 28" bass in the pond!)
One of our Charity Volunteers, that boy could cast like a pro at 16!

farm pond 111226 057a.jpg

Look along the bank behind him. The dark circles you see in the leaves are nutria tunnels, and there are more at or just below the water line. When we shot them, we dropped them in the pond. They didn't go to waste. The catfish and turtles made quick work of them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:00 am

RetiredSeabee wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:28 pm
I think the new CCI uppercut 22 lr. Might be a good round to put them out of your misery.
Not sure how those would work out in a rifle. They are optimized rounds for pistols with barrels 2.5 to 4". I might have a concern with the nose skiving of the bullet causing them to expand prematurely while still inside the longer rifle barrel.

[update:] I did find a video by plinkster-22. Most of the video is about shooting in semi-auto 22s. He did briefly shoot the upper cut out of 16 inch barreled rifle. At the end of the video he shared the gel results. The bullet petals pretty much disintegrated on impact. He indicated he thought, out of a 16inch barrel, the bullet was traveling 1400fps.
These might shred a nutria killing it outright, putting 'them out of my misery'.

So now to find some, so far nobody instore or online has them that I can see.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234