Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Squirrel hunting

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Squirrel hunting

Post by bandit1250 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:47 am

Squirrel hunting this year is not very good in the big woods areas with the acorn crop being poor in my usual spots. Acorns are very spotty at most places in this area that usually have good amounts of acorns most years. I am a rifle hunter but where the squirrels are this year is brushy creek bottoms and drainage ditches that has walnut trees along them. Rifle shooting in these areas that would be better rabbit areas is not very good with the walnuts all down and the squirrels are on the ground where it is only a glimpse of them at times and not a chance to get off a clear shot with a scoped rifle. So it seemed like a good time to pull out the Remington 870 if I want any squirrels to can this year. Things changed pretty fast when using the shotgun. I only used it a few times until I have brought 12 home. I have been slow getting in the woods this year due to trying to finish up home projects before snow is on the ground. I will have to lower the amount I would like to harvest this year to maybe two dozen which will make about 5-6 quart jars to put on the shelf. That would put the number of quart jars of squirrels on the shelf at 14 or 15 which is not to bad. I still don't like shot gun hunting for squirrels.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Squirrel hunting

Post by markiver54 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:15 am

Things can be so different from region to region. We live not far from our little town in an older neighborhood. The acorns have been falling like hail during a storm. At almost any given time during the day, I can look out and count at least 3 to 4 squirrels in the yard. We are unfortunately within city limits though, so shooting is not an option.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:29 am

They are abundant around here this year, they are everywhere.

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:42 am

Not much for an acorn crop this year in our area, but I don't hunt anymore and this isn't prime squirrel country, anyway.

Back in the day, I did use a shotgun a few times, but I MUCH preferred a 22 rifle and, in fact, over the years I did as much squirrel hunting with a 22 pistol as I did with a rifle. When those squirrels were in the brush and on the ground a lot, the way you describe, bandit, using the 22 handgun worked pretty slick for me, since the squirrels would be in handgun range when you did see one. Got a lot of squirrels that way with the old Single Six. Beat carrying a rifle, too, in that thick stuff. Lots and lots of great memories. Explains why I will always have a Single Six around, even though I don't hunt, anymore.

Mint Old Model Super Single Six, 1965 vintage.
3 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:54 am

That's a beauty!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:05 am

Plenty of squirrels around here. I have (had) a filbert tree and it was a squirrel buffet.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:20 am

We definitely don’t have a shortage of acorns in my neck of the woods. Between the oaks and hickory trees in my backyard I have had to use a leaf blower to clear them off so I could mow. Plenty of fluffy tailed tree rats around but not enough to put a dent in the nut buffet. One of the neighbors lives on the edge of the denser woods along the creek. He has deer come out in the evening and they have pretty much cleaned up his buffet. I told him to give them my address.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:54 am

Love that Single Six NCG, particularly the original box for the other cylinder. Very nice!
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:47 am

Ditto on the Single Six.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:12 pm

You debone them for canning?
0 x