Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Today in the woods

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Today in the woods

Post by bandit1250 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:40 pm

Got out for a few hours this morning for squirrels. Squirrel activity was best after 10:00 AM. Saw more fox squirrels than grays but wasn't in the mood to skin the big tough fox squirrels. The grays were way more flighty than the fox ones and offered no still shots. I had the CZ 452 Scout that I put in the Trainer stock with me this morning but no squirrels were shot today. So I stopped at my friends that shot the handguns with me yesterday and just couldn't resist not shooting my rifle. So I shot about two boxes of ammo at paper targets and some shot shell hulls. This little rife amazes me with its accuracy for such a light rifle with the short barrel. This rifle is about like carrying a Red Ryder BB gun with the light weight and short overall length. It really does make a nice squirrel sniper. The draw back is it is a loud little rascal even with standard velocity ammo. High velocity ammo sounds like a 22 Mag out of a standard length rifle barrel.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Today in the woods

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:44 pm

I have a Scout and it’s my worse shooting CZ. I’m not Shute what the problem is. Ive tried it with iron sights and scoped.

Great that you can get out and do some shooting.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:47 pm

That's one CZ I've never shot, bandit. Not surprised about the accuracy, though. Sounds like a fun little gun.

I grew up hunting Fox squirrels. There were no grays where we loved. Some of those old Fox squirrels could get really large. When we kids brought one of those old white in the muzzle Fox Squirrels home for grandma to cook, she wasn't too happy. She told us too much extra work to cook. No more old ones.
2 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:04 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:44 pm
I have a Scout and it’s my worse shooting CZ. I’m not Shute what the problem is. Ive tried it with iron sights and scoped.

Great that you can get out and do some shooting.
Sir Henry my wife and I bought two 452 Scouts about nearly the same time. Our Grandkids showed little to no interest in them so one went to a friend and I kept one to make a full sized adult carbine by using a new pull off Trainer stock. These both shot really well in the short stocks. I bought the Trainer stock from a fellow member here and in that stock the Scout is free floated. I didn't float it just the more slender barrel makes it full floated. The factory Scout stocks were not floated and they both shot their best groups in those stocks with bicycle inner tube in the barrel channel about two inches back. I guess in one way I may be the luckiest guy around being I never had a 452 that wouldn't shoot very well. Will they consistently shoot as well as my Remington 540 X and XR? Not really but some days the Grand Finale 452's will hang with them and my FS 452's will also. Overall the heavier rifles will win that contest with the added weight advantage that makes them lay on sand bags like they are glued down. But the Remington's are Target rifles and all the CZ's here are Sporter barrels. The Remington's with good ammo will make some of the Anschutz shooters at the range have frowns on their face trying to beat the Remington's.
Have you tried a pressure point in the barrel channel? If not add some bicycle inner tube and move it to different spots while shooting groups until you find the sweet spot. Most barrels have a sweet spot for upward pressure especially light sporter barrels. If accuracy improves mark that spot before moving the shim so you can go back to there if no better spot can be found. It actually is kind of fun to see if you can make them shoot better plus you get more trigger time and that is a good thing. Try this if you can on the same day under the same conditions.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:28 pm

Thanks Bandit. I’ll try it. The crown also might be part of the problem. All my other CZs are straight shooters.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Grunt67
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Grunt67 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:08 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:47 pm
That's one CZ I've never shot, bandit. Not surprised about the accuracy, though. Sounds like a fun little gun.

I grew up hunting Fox squirrels. There were no grays where we loved. Some of those old Fox squirrels could get really large. When we kids brought one of those old white in the muzzle Fox Squirrels home for grandma to cook, she wasn't too happy. She told us too much extra work to cook. No more old ones.
NCG, I know exactly what you mean. My Grandma used to say, they were so tough, you couldn't stick a fork in the gravy. :lol:
Needless to say, I didn't take any home either.
0 x
I rarely ever buy a rifle, but when I do, it's a Henry.

"Every day above ground, is a good day" ( Al Capone )

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:20 pm

Actually, after grandma scolded us, we kids thought we would play the rough and rugged frontier types, so we shot one of those old foxies and tried to cook it over an open fire in our backyard fire pit on our own. You should have seen the look on all our faces when we tried to eat that old squirrel. It was so bad and tough, we all started to laugh. (Grandma did, too.)
3 x

Grunt67
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Grunt67 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:32 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:20 pm
Actually, after grandma scolded us, we kids thought we would play the rough and rugged frontier types, so we shot one of those old foxies and tried to cook it over an open fire in our backyard fire pit on our own. You should have seen the look on all our faces when we tried to eat that old squirrel. It was so bad and tough, we all started to laugh. (Grandma did, too.)
Live & learn, . :lol:
0 x
I rarely ever buy a rifle, but when I do, it's a Henry.

"Every day above ground, is a good day" ( Al Capone )

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:12 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:20 pm
There is not a Fox squirrel in the woods tough enough to not get really tender after being cold packed. My squirrels get so tender it is hard to not pull the bones out getting them out of the jars. The tough part for me is getting the hide pulled off. Skinning from the tail and using a vise mounted to a stump outside makes it fairly easy. If you don't cold pack them you can roast them for 3 hours on an oak board and then throw the squirrel away and eat the board. ;) :lol:
2 x