Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Decent morning out

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Decent morning out

Post by bandit1250 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:40 am

Got out this morning bout half hour after day light. It was a balmy 61* at day break and lost 11* in less than a half hour and the wind started light but picked up from there. I saw squirrels and deer as soon as I got there so with the squirrels being in 22 LR distance I got the CZ Scout out and left the 222 Sako cased. I am getting to like this Scout in the full size Trainer stock. I got shots at four squirrels but needed an extra shot at one when I tried to sneak a RWS sub hollow point through some limbs in the way but I failed to get it there. He ran up the tree and crossed over to another and stopped to have a look but that was his last look. One I shot sitting real pretty on a broken off limb. I had a perfect side shot at his head. The sub sonic bullet never made an exit. He came off that limb like I had hit him with a ball bat. The wind died down and the sun broke through the gloomy cloud cover on the way home. After I eat and get the 4 squirrels cleaned I am going back to the woods for a evening hunt. I am at 28 squirrels now and may hunt until I reach 36 and then switch to rabbits and maybe get to use my fur bearer license. I need to get a camera. I am missing some good woods and game pictures. Every one take care and be safe. bandit
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Decent morning out

Post by JEBar » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:01 pm

congrats on your continued success .... what is a "fur bearer license" :?:
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:50 pm

Sounds like you're having a great season, bandit. Lots of good eating, too.
1 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:42 pm

I have only shot one squirrel. It was a Pain in the ass to skin. Any tips? I would love to join the family of squirrel eaters.
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:32 pm

Cofisher wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:42 pm
I have only shot one squirrel. It was a Pain in the ass to skin. Any tips? I would love to join the family of squirrel eaters.
Well now with arthritis in my fingers I had to change my way of skinning them from the way I did it years past. I cut at the under neath base of the tail. Make the cut into the bone and take a pair of snips and cut through the bone so you don't cut your finger with the knife going through the bone. Then make a half moon cut each side where you cut the bone toward the outer edges of the legs. Then this is how I have to do it now. I clamp the tail bone in a vise I have mounted out side with the belly of the squirrel facing up.. Make sure you clamp the bone right up against the rear end of the squirrel and grab both hing legs at the same time and pull even with a pair of robo pliers or channel locks. Robos are better. Then pull the squirrel toward you until the hide is pulled clear up to the neck and then pull front legs free of the hide. Then grab the fur left on both sides that runs back to the hind legs with the pliers and pull it back and clear off the hind legs. Pull one side on that fur at a time. You can gut them first or wait until the hide is off. I gut them first because I gut them in the woods. Then while holding tension on the squirrel still in the vise snip the front feet off then the back feet and then the head. If done right there will only be a couple hairs where you cut through the tail bone. Then the rest of the cleaning procedure is the same as when you would cut them in the middle of the back and make them look like they still needed shaved after skinning. :shock: :lol: Some prefer wetting the squirrel first. Your decision on that.
2 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Double posted picture

Post by bandit1250 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:42 pm

Sorry for two of the same picture. While on here if you want tender squirrels do as I do mine and cold pack them. Last for years and no freezer burnt problems or squirrels you can bounce of the floor like a rubber ball. ;) :lol:
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:46 pm

Is that what they call squirrel under glass Bandit
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:00 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:46 pm
Is that what they call squirrel under glass Bandit
I call it the best eating you will find and most "city slickers" will never experience. ;) :)
1 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:21 pm

Thanks Bandit. Will try to learn. You make it look easy. I know better.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:29 pm

Cofisher wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:21 pm
Thanks Bandit. Will try to learn. You make it look easy. I know better.
Get on you tube there is videos. Same way with variations that the guys doing it prefer. Before I got the arthritis in my fingers I could do a squirrel in right around a minute.
0 x