Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The start of a new week

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

The start of a new week

Post by bandit1250 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:53 pm

Well I started another week in the woods today. I am going to go every chance I get unless having back pain or shoulder pain I can't stand. The covid cases are up here right now so I am going from home to the woods and back without getting around any crowded places. I am having a good time so far and I was thinking of all the years that I felt I had to get a turkey or a deer and now I don't care if I do or I don't. I am just enjoying the time spent in the woods away from people and getting to see deer and other animals along with the squirrels I am there to hunt. My number one game animal is and has always been squirrels. I remember my Dad getting us ready when we were very young to hunt squirrels and learning to shoot well with 22's by keeping the chipmunk population in check. No they have outlawed shooting those wire chewing pain in the butt pests. That was how we learned to shoot accurate for our squirrel hunting.
Well today I went out with the 222 again. It was a little slow at first but then the squirrel activity picked up and I got shots at 5 and got four. The funniest thing today was one that was around 125 yds digging in a grassy spot at the bottom of an oak tree. I put the cross hairs in the eye area and when the shot went off I seen the dirt fly right over his head and he jumped straight in the air about a foot off the ground and I seen him trying to run and he hadn't even hit the ground yet. I laughed as ran across the wood lot back to a den tree. I thought about waiting for him a while but I decided he won today but maybe I will win tomorrow. ;) :lol:
My friend called this evening and told me to come get half of the squirrel gravy he made from all the ones I gave him from last weeks hunts. He said he never made gravy with so many squirrels in it. He said there was 17 in the container I gave him. I just had to bring it home and have the wife heat some up. I was in the bathroom and she hollered to me "Wait until you taste this." We both had some for supper over toast as we didn't have biscuits here and didn't want to go to get any. I don't care for biscuits any way but she likes them. The pan was so full we will have to freeze quite a bit for later.
Life is good and so is the weather. Hit 81* today. :shock: I love it. I would like to see it stay like this until New Years Day and then really get nice. :lol:
3 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: The start of a new week

Post by JEBar » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:49 pm

bandit1250 wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:53 pm
I am just enjoying the time spent in the woods away from people and getting to see deer and other animals along with the squirrels I am there to hunt.

outstanding .... that is truly what matters ....
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:56 pm

Glad you had a great time Bandit. Im the same way anymore. Going Elk hunting later this week. Would like to get one but if I dont its ok to.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:10 pm

bandit1250 wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:53 pm
Well I started another week in the woods today...My number one game animal is and has always been squirrels.
Life is good ...
I love your posts, Bandit. I always either learn something about firearms or am entertained by your stories about hunting and your other activities.

The Official Seal of the Town where I live features an image of two Squirrels because, to the local residents during the Great Depression, they were an invaluable food source.

1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:37 pm

Great story Bandit! Thanks for sharing! Very enjoyable!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:16 am

I miss squirrel hunting the most of all the many types of hunting I did back in the day. Enjoy your warm weather while it lasts. Our record warm start to November came to a crashing end last night with rain and tonight it will be mixed with snow. Back to a normal November for us, now.
0 x