Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Friday morning hunt

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Friday morning hunt

Post by bandit1250 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:16 am

Got in the woods right at 8:00 AM. Saw fewer squirrels driving in than I normally see. Mild temperature nights with moon light even though not a full moon the squirrels will feed at night. I got three pretty quick and then with in another 15 minutes or so all activity stopped. No squirrels were barking or moving on the ground or in the tree. About like turning off a light switch. I was 3 for 4 shots this morning. I actually missed a real close easy shot by not holding high and under shot it's head far enough to get a good clean miss. The squirrels had full stomachs so that is a good indication that night time feeding was going on. The longest shot was at about 125 yds in this big open woods where long shots can be taken quite often. From my friends horse stable to a big moss covered hill that I can shoot to is probably right near 250 yds. I save that spot for snow covered ground due to losing track of the spot where the squirrel was when I shot it. I miss some of them and they head to next zip code so I guess I was close enough that didn't want to chance another shot at them. I did kill a gobbler off that hill from the horse shed three years ago with a 11" beard on a Thanksgiving morning hunt. I used the Sako 222. I can't say enough about the accuracy of the Sako Hunter light weight in 222 Remington to hit squirrels in the head at some pretty long distances and shooting off my home made 4' shooting sticks. With out the sticks for a rest I wouldn't attempt the longer shots unless prone with the Harris bi-pod. Staying out of the woods today. Don't care for Saturday hunting even on the private land. Maybe just head to the drag races at Hagerstown,Md. Supposed to be in the mid 70's today so it will be nice. Yesterday hit a high of 79* and I worked out side after hunting. I am loving this weather but we soon will pay for this mild weather with some really cold days. Going to chase squirrels or turkeys again Monday.
Take care everyone and be safe.
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Friday morning hunt

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:09 pm

What firearm for the turkeys on Monday?
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:43 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:09 pm
When turkey season and fur bearer season is in I only carry the Sako 222. So that will be from now until Feb.20 for coons and fox with no seasonal limit. Porcupines until Jan.30. and allowed 10 per season. Coyotes,Opossums,Skunks and Weasels no closed season and no limit. Bobcats one per season with permit. None can be hunted during the firearms deer season except Coyotes can be taken during deer season. I also hunt rabbits from long range after we get snow on the ground with the 222 and season ends until Feb.27. The last few years we haven't had enough snow to do that very often. The best year for me was 67 rabbits and 65 were shot with 222's or 223 Rem. Two were shot gun kills while hunting Grouse. Back at that time it was a 700 Remington for both rifles. I still have a Remington 700 223 but it is heavy and not a great rifle to carry long distances. I was pretty hard on rabbits that year getting some extra ones for friends that can't hunt any more or friends to lazy to go. I didn't mind getting them some and they enjoyed them. Nothing like rabbit roasted in the oven stuffed with dressing and dressing all around it. I usually eat to much when we have them fixed that way. Mostly I cold pack them like my squirrels.
1 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:31 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
This is for Sir Henry. Forgot to add the picture of my much loved Sako Hunter 222 Remington my Father left to me when he passed away. It has been a super turkey and squirrel slayer since I have had it. Seventeen turkeys with 20 years using it. Not sure of the out come for this year on turkeys. Last two years were not good for me with being under the weather both years and hardly got in the woods while turkey season was in.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:51 pm

bandit1250 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:31 pm
Sir Henry wrote:
This is for Sir Henry. Forgot to add the picture of my much loved Sako Hunter 222 Remington my Father left to me when he passed away. It has been a super turkey and squirrel slayer since I have had it. Seventeen turkeys with 20 years using it. Not sure of the out come for this year on turkeys. Last two years were not good for me with being under the weather both years and hardly got in the woods while turkey season was in.
What a beautiful rifle and history. Thanks for sharing.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:57 pm

Love that Sako, bandit. That's a real classic.

We've had record high temps, too, but we'll soon be back to November sometime this coming week. Oh, well. Nice while it lasted.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:34 pm

Nice Bandit. Real nice. The triple deuce is a great round
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55