Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Warm weather for hunting

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Warm weather for hunting

Post by bandit1250 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:53 am

We are having some unseasonable warm weather right now. Staying in the low 40's overnight and warming to the low 70's through the day. Almost could hunt in a t-shirt after early morning warms up. I went out this morning and got there just before 8 c'clock. I am not an real early morning hunter and 8 seems to be a good time to get in the woods. I took my 222 Sako with turkey season in now but decided after the first hour if the squirrels were moving about I would try to get a few more for my best friend that don't get out to hunt anymore. At just about 9 I figured it's time for some squirrel hunting fun and heck with waiting on the turkeys unless the opportunity presents itself for a shot. From a few minutes before 9 until ten minutes after 10 AM I had my limit of 6. All grays. Never saw a fox squirrel this morning but I did get a huge male fox squirrel yesterday morning. The 222 will bring them out of the tree with it being border line on violent expansion. Head area shots are a must or lose front legs from the bullets violent characteristics. The 55 gr Sierra is less violent than the 50 gr ones but have to still get the head area shot or they could end up looking like they are inside out and makes them hard to skin. The best period for fall hunting with the 222 is not quite here yet. When the leaves are down more and some light snow cover is where the 222 really shines for reaching out to well over 150 yds if I hunt along fence rows and shoot across open fields to the woods edges. The longest squirrel shot with the 222 so far that I have made is 247 yds. calculated on a range finder. That was not this year. Light snow on the ground makes it pretty easy to find the longer distance shot squirrels. So I had a good morning out and felt good about going 6 squirrels for six shots. Now to skin them out and finish a few outside chores in the nice weather. We may hit 74* today and I am enjoying the weather.
3 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Warm weather for hunting

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:57 pm

247 yards is a long distance for such a small target. Good job!
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:44 pm

bandit1250 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:53 am
The longest squirrel shot with the 222 so far that I have made is 247 yds.
that had to be one heck of a shot .... most impressive indeed
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:35 pm

Our weather has been all over the place, too. We had a record cold October with highs in the 30s for the last two weeks and now we're in the 60s for the first week of November. Just nuts.

Great shooting as always, my friend.
1 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:37 pm

Impressive shot for sure. We don't have Fox squirrels here. Our grays are pretty pretty big, though. Lots of 'mutant' black ones too.

I'm on the North shore of Lake Ontario, and the weather has been abnormally warm here as well. It barely dips below 50 at night, then warms to about 65 during the day. I'll take it! I might have to get the Mustang out for one last cruise...in November...in Canada!

Edit: It's 19:30, the sun has been down for 2 hours...this post got me curious, and I went to check the weather station we have in the kitchen. While I was looking at it, the temp jumped up from 18.5 C (65.3 F) to 18.8 (65.84) . Nuts is right!

They say it is related to Super Typhoon Goni, on the other side of the world...that's a big storm...
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:43 pm

roddy wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:37 pm
They say it is related to Super Typhoon Goni, on the other side of the world...that's a big storm...
fascinating .. :?
0 x