Camo suggestion

Keystone
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Camo suggestion

Post by Keystone » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:06 am

markiver54 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:59 pm
If you're hunting from a tree over bait, scent and movement are paramount. If at all possible; stay down wind. Anymore, bears are likely to go for the food, even in urban environments.
It’s a mix of stands and blinds mostly stands for rifle, set by the outfitter. I’m guessing they will set stands downwind if possible. They don’t advertise numbers but the outfitter says they have a really high success rate.

This trip is more about spending time with my dad and brother. A Maine black bear trip is a trip my dad had wanted to do for as long as I remember. At the pace time seems to go by, I am beginning to realize it’s time to cherish family and set more memories. A bear for any of us would just be a cherry on top. Remote camp should create some different memories than the actual hunt will.

I’ve never hunted bear before even when I hunted regularly. So I am a ball of clay. Been reading and watching videos. Looks and sounds like some adrenaline gets pumping when the bears show up.
2 x

Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Team Roper » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:55 pm

I have come to like Natural Gear for camo.
https://naturalgear.com/shop-by-activity/big-game/
0 x
Army Paratrooper
173 rd Airborne Brigade, 2nd/503 rd. Airborne Infantry, Vietnam 66-67, point man, tunnel rat
combat jump 2/67
82 nd Airborne Div. 1st/505th Airborne Infantry, Vietnam, 68, Sniper
jumped with the Army Parachute Team, The Golden Knights.

Keystone
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Keystone » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:58 pm

I did order some clothes. I ordered a camo jacket, a lightweight merino base layer, and a medium weight merino wool pants.

I figured the pants and base layer will see use outside of hunting fishing, hiking, yard work in cool weather. The base layers might even see some summer hiking as well.

The jacket probably will see some use too. I think my wife might allow a camo jacket around town. Camo pants.... not so much.
1 x

Centaur
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Centaur » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:49 am

I am primarily a bowhunter, and my hunting garb is wool in subdued colors. Move slowly, stop more than you walk, and hunt the wind. Modern camo works, but is not really necessary. Jillons of animals have been taken without the latest in camo fashions.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:51 am

I wore tan Duck Back pants, cap, vest and coat with a red shirt for decades .... in my mind the necessity for head to toe camo became even more foggy once blaze orange came in
0 x

MuddyWaters62
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by MuddyWaters62 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:31 pm

Scent and movement are the main ingredients for success. I used to use ASAT camo and Nat Gear to good effect. I have gone back to wearing blue jeans and flannel shirts. I keep upwind as best I can when hunting any where I go. I have bowhunted for last 30 years with a 65lb longbow. You just gotta get close. Slow your gait down to their level and use your eyes and ears to bag your game. I like looking at eyelashes on my prey.

Muddy Waters 67
2 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:07 am

I buy camo for turkey and waterfowl. It ends up getting worn for big game too, although it’s not necessary. There were so many people in the woods this year, I wore blaze orange for the first time ever. First Lite merino stuff is phenomenal gear.
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

one3
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by one3 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:57 pm

I, am with the other guys. Started hunting before cammo. Did well. You already have choths. If you want cammo, buy some thing cheap to fit over your cloths. If it get riped, no big deal, you will not be out much money. Watch out, do not d get caught up in the marketing game.
0 x