Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

big game hunting with a straight wall cartridge

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

big game hunting with a straight wall cartridge

Post by JEBar » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:36 pm

info would be appreciated from folks who live and/or hunt in areas that will allow rifle hunting only with a straight wall cartridge .... what calibers are allowed .... is the 45-70 allowed under the straight wall provision
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: big game hunting with a straight wall cartridge

Post by bandit1250 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:45 pm

The 45/70 is allowed in Ohio. They sell fast out there now. 444 Marlin also a good seller. Indiana has a cartridge length limit of I think 1.8" but doesn't need to be straight walled. Some of the guys out there I hear trims their 35 Remington cases back to 1.8 to use them. It goes by case length and not over all loaded length. I believe it is a 35 caliber minimum.
0 x

Frank V
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Frank V » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:52 pm

JEBar, I'd check with the local game warden, it could vary state to state. What might be legal here could be illegal in another state.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:16 pm

Frank V wrote:JEBar, I'd check with the local game warden, it could vary state to state. What might be legal here could be illegal in another state.
that's exactly what I was wondering about .... it certainly doesn't seem to indicate that there is any standardization among the states
0 x

Frank V
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Frank V » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:29 pm

JEBar wrote:
Frank V wrote:JEBar, I'd check with the local game warden, it could vary state to state. What might be legal here could be illegal in another state.
that's exactly what I was wondering about .... it certainly doesn't seem to indicate that there is any standardization among the states
I don't think there is, some states outlaw lead bullets in come counties so we need to check the laws where we are going to hunt.
0 x