Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ladder Stand Tip

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Ladder Stand Tip

Post by HenryFan » Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:55 pm

Probably many do this but I find it handy to hang a length of rope on the arm rest of a ladder stand to pull a rifle or a pack up. It is much easier when I don't have to unsling a rifle, try to get it in the seat area of the stand while hanging on top of the ladder. Probably safer too.
2 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: Ladder Stand Tip

Post by Vaquero » Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:57 pm

Oh yeah, I used to do just that, but I don't use ladder or climber stands much any more.
I choose to stay on the ground, I get enough ladder climbing at work. ;) :lol:
I prefer to do most of mine from a ground blind these days

RP
2 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

graywolf
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by graywolf » Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:03 pm

Same here. My only stand now is my climber that I leave on the tree about head high.
1 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:42 am

I had a couple of ladder stands for archery season, but preferred box stands for the rifle season. I'd make 'em about eight to ten feet off the ground. We didn't have a lot of open land on the lease as it was used for timber production. We had to hunt the lanes made by the timber crews. A good box stand positioned so that one could see both ways down the lane was essential.
Jake
2 x

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rickhem » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:50 pm

Having been a bow hunter on state land for years, and using a climber that I carried in and out, that rope was a staple. I had a length of para cord that I'd clip onto my stabilizer, and loop the other end onto the stand. I'd climb the tree, screw in my bow hanger hook, and then pull up the bow. I liked to be high, so that para cord helped me standardize on how high I went.

Now-a-days, I'm using ladder stands and still have the para cord for pulling stuff up. It's a good tip, and a good habit to have. I do seem to be a lot more timid in my elevation comfort though. The ladders with wide platforms are OK, but I have an "archer's stand" from Sportsmen's Guide that is 18', and I just don't get comfortable in that stand. It has a narrower platform, and a small fold down seat. I prefer standing, so I don't use the seats.
Besides, in bow season, it limits my visibility being too high up. I may just move that one and take a section of the ladder off.

All that said, the ground blinds are where I hunt in rifle season. They're more forgiving to movement, and after a year or two, the deer just ignore them.
2 x

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by HenryFan » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:09 pm

Another thing crossed my mind about ladder stands.

If you leave your ladder stands up year around (as I do, too much trouble to take them down and erect them again in the fall), take time to loosen the ratchet strap, cable or chain at the end of the season.

If it is not done, it is my experience that the stand will become part of the tree.
5 x