Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

What are you using?

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: What are you using?

Post by rickhem » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:43 am

Very cool pictures! Thanks for posting, they bring back some memories.

I'm also in Upstate NY along with Daytime Dave. My go-to rifle for a few years now is a Remington 700 short action in .308. I bought it from a local gunsmith in NJ that was a top level benchrest guy, and he said his buddy used it for light varmint class. It has a Hart 5R barrel, 11.25 twist, and is tapered, but much beefier than a sporter weight. Action is bedded into a B&C fiberglass stock, and the trigger is probably too light for a hunting rifle. I used to shoot this in Rifle Silhouette matches as it made weight for that, but that game is more for lighter recoiling rifles. It is incredibly accurate with a wide range of bullet weights, but I've settled on moderate loads using Varget and the Hornady 165 SST bullet. This year I was lucky enough to have a nice buck head my way on opening day at a little before 8 am. He would have come very close if he followed along the direction he was heading, but at about 60 yards, I took my shot. Ran about 40 yards and collapsed. When dressing him I found that the entire top side of the heart was gone, amazing that he ran as far as he did like that.
Opening Day 2023.jpg
I also have a doe permit for my zone, and I've gone out with my Henry BBS, .357. My loads are using the Hornady 158 XTP flat point over a stout charge of Lil Gun. This has grouped better than anything I've tried thus far in this rifle, chronos at over 1900fps, and it's amazingly flat shooting out to 100. The woods where I hunt are open enough for a shot of almost that distance this time of year, but it would require picking the lane to make it.

I did buy a Howa mini barreled action (20") from Brownell's back in October, but it was backordered for a while. Mine is a 6mmARC. Got a Stocky's carbon fiber stock for it, and bought the solid steel bottom metal (stock bottom with magazine is plastic) to put it all together. I didn't have this ready for hunting season this year, and didn't want to rush with it since I have the .308, but I'm really looking forward to trigger time with this little Howa. It's quite easy to maneuver through the woods, just like the Henry, but much lighter, and should have much better range. Time will tell.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:15 pm

Nice Buck rickhem. Congratulations.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:30 am

Yes, that’s a nice buck.
1 x

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:46 pm

Could have had a big Doe this morning. She was right outside my kitchen window about 8 Ft from the house. If I quietly opened the window, I could have shot her with my 30-30 right from the kitchen, but I didn't, lol.
3 x
NRA Member

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:23 pm

Cowboy Gun Fan wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:46 pm
Could have had a big Doe this morning. She was right outside my kitchen window about 8 Ft from the house. If I quietly opened the window, I could have shot her with my 30-30 right from the kitchen, but I didn't, lol.
I once shot one from my bedroom window, with a 30-30. :) :D

RP
3 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

graywolf
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by graywolf » Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:52 pm

My Grandson and me both are watching this one. Will let grandson take him. He got a new bow this week and that's what he will shoot him with.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x

Stray Cat
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Stray Cat » Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:47 pm

A week ago, I finally had an opportunity to harvest my first deer with my H010 .45-70 It may not be the largest deer or a Boone & Crocket wall hanger but it was a special moment for my brother Rick and myself. Due to some medical challenges over the past year, just being in my treestand watching nature happen was a reward in of itself. Having this guy pursuing a doe presented an opportunity to top off the freezer and give me and the Henry a chance to prove we were capable.

It was a close shot, maybe 40 yards; I use Hornady LEVERevolution 325FTX cartridges. It was one and done, he ran 40 yards and piled up on top of the ridge making field dressing and recovery easy. My brother's Polaris 4 wheeler and deer sled made it a whiz getting it back to deer camp.
9 x
Jeff

graywolf
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by graywolf » Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:05 am

Way to go. Always good when you don't have to drag them to far.
2 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:26 am

Congrats there Stray Cat.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum