JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: First deer with my new Henry 44 Carbine

Post by JEBar » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:40 am

Hank44 wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:12 am
Update:

I'm very happy with the bullet performance.
my Grandfather taught me to hunt and shoot .... he bear hunted with a Model 94 30-30 .... I well remember the time when 30-06's and 7mm mags were taking the rifle hunting market by storm .... they both were highly prized for pass through performance .... he had no time for bullets designed to pass all the way through bear/deer with enough power to continue on for untold distances .... he wanted his bullets to do exactly what yours did .... that being to penetrate deep into the game animal and expend its power there
1 x

Hank44
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Hank44 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:02 am

Yeah, I first hunted with 7mm08 with ballistic tip bullets. They blew everything up inside. Very impressive, but a ton of blood shoot meat wasted.

I had moved on to lower power 30-06 and 308 handloads with Sierra 168 gr Gameking hollow point bullets. Very happy with the performance.

But I'm a bit older and hunt from a tent blind now and the Henry carbine is easier to handle. The 44 did its job. The vast majority of my kills had been in the 30 yard range. It is completely adequate for my needs.
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:50 am

if you are interested, it might pay you to check out Nosler's 44 Caliber 240gr JHP Sporting Handgun (100ct) bullets .... we've purchase them for many years from Shooter's Pro Shop ====> https://www.shootersproshop.com/44-cali ... -blem.html .... right now they are out of stock buy you can get on their list to be notified when they have more .... they mushroom as advertised and I've not had one to come apart .... we've taken black bear, boar and whitetail deer with them
0 x

Hank44
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Hank44 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:47 pm

JEBar wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:50 am
if you are interested, it might pay you to check out Nosler's 44 Caliber 240gr JHP Sporting Handgun (100ct) bullets .... we've purchase them for many years from Shooter's Pro Shop ====> https://www.shootersproshop.com/44-cali ... -blem.html .... right now they are out of stock buy you can get on their list to be notified when they have more .... they mushroom as advertised and I've not had one to come apart .... we've taken black bear, boar and whitetail deer with them
Thanks. I'll keep my eyes open. I need to load a bunch of new rounds. One of my sons is thinking about picking up a 44 lever as well. He likes "Dad's new toy" :lol:
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:44 pm

Hank44 wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:47 pm
....Thanks. I'll keep my eyes open. ....
Apparently Sportsmans has them for 'ship to home'
https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gea ... s/p/304053
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:46 pm

Shooter's Pro Shop has the contract to market Nosler's BLEMS .... these are bullets that have some type of cosmetic flaw that in no way has any impact on their performance .... historically the sell for around 25 cents each .... the ones from Sportsman's Warehouse have flawless finishes and perform identically .... the are priced around 50 cents each .... if I had an urgent needed to load hunting level 44 Mag ammo, I have so much confidence in them, I'd order from Sportsman's Warehouse if I couldn't get them cheaper elsewhere ..... thankfully, we have a large number on hand
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:14 pm

Hank, congrats on that buck. Always good to end a drought like that. Darn nice buck and good choice of rifle/caliber. Nice way to spend the day.
0 x

Hank44
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Hank44 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:24 pm

Thanks guys. I'm still at hunting camp. One more tag for my younger son to fill. I'll need to do a component inventory when I get home. I have plenty of primers and brass. I think I have some more XTP's as well.
1 x

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Greyhawk » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:45 pm

Hank44 wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:24 pm
Thanks guys. I'm still at hunting camp. One more tag for my younger son to fill. I'll need to do a component inventory when I get home. I have plenty of primers and brass. I think I have some more XTP's as well.
Hank- Great job! We had an outstanding deer season this year and although I own many rifles in various calibers, I just can't get away from my little Henry. This year I had a buck coming directly toward me. At 50 yards he paused to take a drink out of the water hole, as he bent down, I shot him in the neck and he just tipped over, end of story. My Henry is in 45 Colt (It is the rifle in my picture) and I handload 250 grain XTP's. That little Henry has taken a lot of deer, (more than any other of my rifles) and I just know when I press that trigger exactly where that bullet is going to go. It is a fun little rifle! Happy Hunting Everyone!!!!!!
0 x

Hank44
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Hank44 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:03 am

Greyhawk wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:45 pm
Hank- Great job! We had an outstanding deer season this year and although I own many rifles in various calibers, I just can't get away from my little Henry. This year I had a buck coming directly toward me. At 50 yards he paused to take a drink out of the water hole, as he bent down, I shot him in the neck and he just tipped over, end of story. My Henry is in 45 Colt (It is the rifle in my picture) and I handload 250 grain XTP's. That little Henry has taken a lot of deer, (more than any other of my rifles) and I just know when I press that trigger exactly where that bullet is going to go. It is a fun little rifle! Happy Hunting Everyone!!!!!!
[/quote]

Thanks Greyhawk.

I've been hunting for over 30 years now. When I first started, I sighted my bolt gun in. Several old timers were sighting in their lever actions. I thought to myself "Why are they using that old crap?"

Fast forward to this year. I found the Henry two weeks before season. I had a scope hanging around along with some 44 rounds I had handloaded for a Ruger carbine. I'm now retired, so I sighted in on a Monday, opening day Saturday. Now I'm that old timer with that antiquated lever gun. It easy to carry. Handles well within the confines of my tent blind. The 44 mag had very little collateral blood shot meat damage. The Henry will be my choice again next season. I wish I had found one years ago.
1 x