Cowhand
United States of America

Re: First deer with my new Henry 44 Carbine

Post by Greyhawk » Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:58 am

Hank44 wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:03 am
Greyhawk wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:45 pm
Hank- Great job! We had an outstanding deer season this year and although I own many rifles in various calibers, I just can't get away from my little Henry. This year I had a buck coming directly toward me. At 50 yards he paused to take a drink out of the water hole, as he bent down, I shot him in the neck and he just tipped over, end of story. My Henry is in 45 Colt (It is the rifle in my picture) and I handload 250 grain XTP's. That little Henry has taken a lot of deer, (more than any other of my rifles) and I just know when I press that trigger exactly where that bullet is going to go. It is a fun little rifle! Happy Hunting Everyone!!!!!!
Thanks Greyhawk.

I've been hunting for over 30 years now. When I first started, I sighted my bolt gun in. Several old timers were sighting in their lever actions. I thought to myself "Why are they using that old crap?"

Fast forward to this year. I found the Henry two weeks before season. I had a scope hanging around along with some 44 rounds I had handloaded for a Ruger carbine. I'm now retired, so I sighted in on a Monday, opening day Saturday. Now I'm that old timer with that antiquated lever gun. It easy to carry. Handles well within the confines of my tent blind. The 44 mag had very little collateral blood shot meat damage. The Henry will be my choice again next season. I wish I had found one years ago.
[/quote]

Yes, I am the old fart too!!! Everyone that I hunt with use AR-15's or variants in .223 and .300 Blackout. (except for my dad who is a bolt guy).
I had my doubts about that little .223 round (an AR is all that my teenage daughters will use (they each shot a doe this year) but we have never lost a deer that they have shot. My son and my best friend took 3 deer this year with AR pistols in 300 Blackout....... I'll stick with my Henry!
1 x

Hank44
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Hank44 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:04 am

I would have hunted with an AR too, but our hunting property is in Upstate NY, so no bueno. At one point, I wanted to use my 44 mag revolver, but again no bueno in NY.

I'll stick with the Henry. I've been bitten by the lever bug, I'll need to check in to the rehab center. :roll: :lol:
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:06 pm

Hank44 wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:04 am
:
I'll stick with the Henry. I've been bitten by the lever bug, I'll need to check in to the rehab center. :roll: :lol:
The Henry rehab center is a ruse. You'll come away worse than when you entered.
2 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:50 am

I've seen that with the xtp's, but they are deadly.
And prefer the xtp's to ftx's, and I do have a couple boxes of those. ;)
Congrats again.

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012