Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Dogs in hunting

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Dogs in hunting

Post by JEBar » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:34 pm

as others from our part of the country have mentioned, I used to bear/boar hunt with a club in the mountains of Western NC .... our club used blueticks, black & tans, and Plott Hounds for bear and boar .... because they were so much more dangerous, the owners of our dogs were very reluctant to deliberately turn their best dogs onto a boar .... the another club I belonged to used beagles for rabbits and small game .... when hunting big game on land surrounded by neighborhoods we used beagles because they couldn't move what they were trailing at a fast pace over a long distance.... by the way, in 1989, the North Carolina General Assembly designated the Plott Hound as the official State Dog ....
1 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:35 am

Here in the south, the use of dogs for hunting has waned, at least for the pursuit hunting. Lots of folks are not happy, myself included, in the way a lot of folks treat the dogs. Nearly starving them, not taking due diligence to pick them all up after the hunt etc. I know, it's a few bad eggs that give everyone a bad name. I used to see way too many starving hunting dogs wandering around, obviously lost during hunting season. My buddy has collected and called the owners many, many times. Sometimes they are slow to come and collect their dogs. Occasionally, they are not interested in collecting them at all.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:28 am

clovishound wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:35 am
Here in the south, the use of dogs for hunting has waned, at least for the pursuit hunting. Lots of folks are not happy, myself included, in the way a lot of folks treat the dogs. Nearly starving them, not taking due diligence to pick them all up after the hunt etc. I know, it's a few bad eggs that give everyone a bad name. I used to see way too many starving hunting dogs wandering around, obviously lost during hunting season. My buddy has collected and called the owners many, many times. Sometimes they are slow to come and collect their dogs. Occasionally, they are not interested in collecting them at all.
Sorry to hear that. I did not experienced that kind of neglect at all when I when I was hunting. We used a lot of dogs for bear hunting. All of them had radio collars, and all were found after the hunt. On rare occasions, there might be one or two still out there, but we would not stop looking. If one still was not found, we would be back out there looking the very next morning.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:43 am

Like I said, a few bad eggs. I suppose it may have come from a mentality from decades ago. Attitudes have changed in the general public, and some portions of society are slow to change with them. Sometimes that's a good thing, and other times, not so much. Bird dogs are a whole different kettle of fish than pursuit dogs. They are often part of the family. The pursuit dogs are not looked on in the same way by many hunters. They are tools, not pets, and sometimes don't receive the basic respect they deserve.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Nick Wade
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Nick Wade » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:09 am

what is the best 10mm ammo for hunting
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:05 am

I've had no experience with 10mm, however, like any caliber, it depends on what your hunting for, as to what is the best load.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry