Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry - 3 for three

zara_puppy
Cowhand
United States of America

Henry - 3 for three

Post by zara_puppy » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:07 pm

Tonight - the single shot .243. I’ve a friend that lives in a deer reduction zone. He invited me over to sit in one of his stands. So what the heck - I go to his house. He is still working so he drives me to a field and points me toward his stand. Of course I miss the stand by about 50 yards. As I crested the hill I see two white tails straight up in the air headed north. So I move south and see another deer. Take the rifle off my shoulder, line up the shot, but before I could pull the trigger it jumps and runs. When it runs four more join it. Dang. A few minutes too late. Climb the stand anyway and wait in case they come back. Nope. They were gone. I leave the stand about 30 minutes befor last shooting light to check out a corn field in case they got around me. Again, nothing. Text my friend and let him know I’m on my way. Five minutes later he shows up and picks me up.

On the short drive back to his house I look into another field and say “is that a herd of deer?” He said “yep”. So I said why are we not getting out of the truck? He said “you have 9 minutes.” I hop out of the truck, hurry down the fence row, and the deer start moving. I rest the .243 on a fence post and scan the group. I chose the last one in line. Put the cross hairs on the boiler room and tell myself to watch through the scope - don’t flinch. Squeeze the trigger. I saw the fire from the end of the barrel through the scope. And the left eye watched her drop. Like a stone. Walked back to the truck and he asked “did you get one?”. I said “absolutely”. From where I shot to where she lay was around 250 yards.

The Henry single shots are excellent hunters. Three trigger pulls. Three deer down.
5 x

zara_puppy
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Henry - 3 for three

Post by zara_puppy » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:20 pm

Here she is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

zara_puppy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by zara_puppy » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:24 pm

Also - the field I Shot the doe in he has permission to hunt. Just want to be clear.
1 x

Stray Cat
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Stray Cat » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:22 am

Good shootin, that one won't be eating any more corn! What scope do you use?
0 x
Jeff

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:22 am

congrats nicely done, great report
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:37 am

Lots of Deer meat and the Zara house. Nice report and great shooting. 243 is a great round one of my favorites
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

zara_puppy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by zara_puppy » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:50 am

Stray Cat wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:22 am
Good shootin, that one won't be eating any more corn! What scope do you use?
Leopold VX 3i 3.5 X 10 40mm Objective - got a good deal on it. Rounds I use are Federal Premium 95 grain Berger Hunter Hybrids. POI is consistent across all magnifications with the Leupold and the Berger Hybrids group very well.

I’ve had nothing but good luck with both the Single Shots. They’re very solid hunters and they both shoot lights out. Bonus - they’re beautiful and made in the good ole USA.
1 x