Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Couple random hunting questions

zara_puppy
Cowhand
United States of America

Couple random hunting questions

Post by zara_puppy » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:53 pm

One - what’s up with Tuesdays? Looking at some of the posts here Tuesday seems to be a day of success for getting good deer.

Two - why is it in a state with a one buck rule, if you get a buck ALL you see after that is bucks? I mean I just would like to see another doe.

On a side note - my wife found a show about the DNR and its adventures in various states. It seems in Texas shooting a buck is only legal if it has an inside spread of 13 inches. How in the heck do you manage that? I had a buck at 20 yards and I was 15 feet high in a tree stand and I didn’t even know how many points it had - I just knew it was a good buck and that I wanted him in the freezer.
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: Couple random hunting questions

Post by Vaquero » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:02 pm

A good rule of thumb, if his antlers are wider then his ears most likely 15" +.
As to the Tues thing, I don't know. I wasn't going, but changed my mind. :D

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:22 am

Only guessing here but perhaps in Texas it’s so open that hunters generally have time to judge a buck for a bit prior to taking the shot. As Vaquero says the ears are a great reference to use but that requirement is still difficult to judge. In Washington state some years ago the game dept. installed a rule that we could shoot only three point (western count) or larger bucks. The dept. got so much protest that they dropped the rule. Idea was to increase the quantity of larger bucks in the area.
0 x

The Happy Kaboomer
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by The Happy Kaboomer » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:09 pm

Don't know about Tuesdays but being retired I have observed Many many younger bucks and does this season. I have gravitated to shooting only older mature bucks. Have killed 3 nice 8's and passed many smaller ones. One at daylight and 2 at sunset.
0 x