Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

AR 15, Barnes Vortex and Deer

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

AR 15, Barnes Vortex and Deer

Post by Greyhawk » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:46 pm

Here in Minnesota there is an early youth deer hunt. Both of my girls eagerly participated and each got their deer. And although I am a lever action fan, my girls prefer the AR-15 for deer hunting. In the beginning I really had my doubts... a 55 grain .223 sure doesn't compare to my 350 grain 45-70 deer load. But, to be honest we have never lost a deer that the girls have shot with the AR's, and those deer have not gone more than 30 yards after being shot.
Tonight I just finished butchering their harvests and I found the bullet lodged in the shoulder of the doe that my oldest girl shot. The only ammo that I could find for them this year was 55 grain Barnes Vortex. One interesting thing was that at the range the Barnes shot fine out of the firearms that my girls use to hunt with. But, out of my AR the round would key-hole at 50 yards. (Not sure what that was about. I do have an 18" barrel and they were shooting out of 16" barrels) Maybe you guys would have some ideas on that. Anyway, back to the bullet recovered out of the does shoulder.
The round expanded nicely but one peddle did break off. The round was originally 55 grains. The spent round weighed in at 51.8.
Now for a little bad news.... My 75 year old dad is going to deer hunt with his AR for the first time this year... Using a red dot sight even!!!!! BIG SIGHHHHH.... Oh, well there will be at least one lever gun at deer camp this year! :lol: :lol:
Happy hunting and I hope that everyone is doing well!
Greyhawk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: AR 15, Barnes Vortex and Deer

Post by JEBar » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:35 pm

congrats to your and your girls .... you are giving them memories they will treasure
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:32 am

Congratulations to your daughters, proud papa! :D

Your 18” AR may have a faster twist than the 16” guns of your girls which could cause that 55 grain bullet to tumble.

Good luck to your dad and his hunting with his AR. What has this world come to? :lol: :lol: :lol: Good for him!
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:46 pm

Congrats to you and the girls.
pretty sure the barrel length has little to do with the tumbling, and
would side with Hatch. Having a different twist rate.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:58 pm

Congrats GH!!