Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Gps suggestions

Johnnyjr
Cowhand
United States of America

Gps suggestions

Post by Johnnyjr » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:39 am

What's out there that's so easy a cave man can use it. Something to mark trails with you know. Where I can find my stand in the dark. Thanks. Johnny
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Gps suggestions

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:14 am

I use a compass and altimeter for mountaineering because I don’t trust my life to batteries. I had a Garmin GPS and didn’t like it because the batteries went dead on me several times. To me firearms are all about getting away from modern society although I do have an electronic distance finder and trigger pull gauge.

I’m beginning to sound like my grandfather.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:51 pm

A compass and a USGS quad map is how I learned to get around in the mountains and desert but several times walking miles out of the desert at night my hand held GPS saved me miles of walking in the wrong direction.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:18 am

I have a basic Etrex that I have used from time to time. Can’t really say it’s simple to use but I did figure it out. It’s probably 10 years old so I would imagine GPS’s have advanced since then. I’ll post a link if I can find one.

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-eTrex-Wat ... B00003WGP5
0 x

Johnnyjr
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Johnnyjr » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:39 pm

Got myself a hand held garmen to use. Thru Amazon..
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:58 pm

leverjc wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:51 pm
A compass and a USGS quad map is how I learned to get around in the mountains and desert but several times walking miles out of the desert at night my hand held GPS saved me miles of walking in the wrong direction.
Most cell phones can be used as seven of the twelve essentials. I have an app that can trace my movement and records my steps and elevation gain. I can go back six months and tell you how far I walked a even where. That is based on if I actually had my phone on me. Most times when I’m active I’m not wearing it.

Bottom line is I complain but use them like everyone else like when I climbed Guadalupe.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:35 pm

unless I planned on heavy use I'd buy a Garmin eTrex 22x .... there are several good videos on YouTube to show you how to use it ... one is at the link below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7KBodDC7YE
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:41 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:18 am
I have a basic Etrex that I have used from time to time. Can’t really say it’s simple to use but I did figure it out. It’s probably 10 years old so I would imagine GPS’s have advanced since then. I’ll post a link if I can find one.

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-eTrex-Wat ... B00003WGP5
I used to have one of those and kept in my truck for the deer lease. I knew that lease like the back of my hand but the corporate land owners wanted to know the gps coordinates of the cabin and all deer stands on the lease. It didn't matter much because they sold the property right before the last season and managed to knock down most of the stands while clear cutting. It worked okay but it's not a simple thing to use for trails one doesn't know. I would go with the newer etrex X22 since it comes preloaded with topo maps.
Jake
0 x