Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

It's not over till it's over

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

It's not over till it's over

Post by daytime dave » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:48 am

Yesterday was the last day for regular gun hunting in my region. I had returned to work last week and we went to her sons yesterday. I worked on the tractors, this time making sure they all had the antifreeze in range and topped off. After that, if she wasn't back from taking the dog out, I was planning on cutting back the path from the step son's property to the neighbor's. It was 90 minutes until sunset of the last day, but that was when I was there and when I could work. As there was always a chance I could see a deer when I wasn't hunting, I had my 686 6" in a shoulder holster. As I started out with the lopers, two close shots range out across the road. I went back and put my blaze orange vest on. Often drives are put on during the last day around here. I wanted to be seen while working. Both properties are private and we are the only ones hunting them, but you never know. As I got to the area where I wanted to cut back the brush, where his woods open to her field, I set the lopers down and took out the magnum. I figured there weren't any deer there all season, but I would pop my head out and take a look in the field andmaybe........ Yup, but by the time I was finished getting through the noisy brush, all I saw was a white flag bobbing out of the goldenrod and then into the woods 40 yds down. As I returned to get started with the lopers, I heard movement and saw a white flag go up. It was out of sight in 2 seconds. Some of his woods are so thick and overgrown. I hadn't seen that deer 10 yds from me and it hadn't seen me on the path.
He had been out with his girlfriend delivering venison to the property owners where he had gotten deer on their properties. I called him and said they were headed for his house. I'd start walking down if he was home. He was. By the time I made it down to him, he said they had come out in a spot where it wasn't safe to shoot not knowing where I was. We've hunted together enough to know what each other would be doing. The deer made the perfect move. Had they waited a bit longer to break out, they were his, had they turned shorter, they would have been mine.
Oh well, I returned to get the lopers and cut down the noisy brush at the area I wanted to.
There is always next year. The property is getting groomed more and more. This year it was much more huntable than last year. I cut two trails, one which will be passable by a small diesel tractor I bought on the opening day of gun season this year. It will be able to tow the tiller purchased this past summer to the fields reclaimed. For now, as bandit1250 is also looking forward to rabbit hunting, I am looking forward to some rabbit, squirrel and grouse hunting.
But, it pays to remember, it's not over till it's over. At least these deer weren't bouncing off the hood of the car. Next year they will be lined up in the sights of the 686.

3 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: It's not over till it's over

Post by JEBar » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:59 am

great story .... its nice to end a season looking forward to the next .... 8-)
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:34 am

Good for you, Dave. Love the way you and your friend play it safe. As for the 686, I've always thought it to be the perfect 357 DA revolver.
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:03 am

daytime dave, Sounds like you have a great after deer season plan. I have a hard time waiting for our deer season to end and get back out for the most fun hunting of all. Small game! Good luck on your small game hunting. We have to the end of Feb. for squirrel and rabbit. I will get out for small game and fur bearers especially after snow covers the ground.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:51 am

Great story Dave!
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Grunt67
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Grunt67 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:00 pm

Dave, I can relate to the thick,overgrown part. Where I hunt is the same, makes seeing anything. much less a clear shot, iffy.
I went for a while today, didn't see or hear anything. Wind got up, gusty, so I left, don't like tobe there when the winds are high
Oh, well, maybe next time, LOL.
Hope you get one next time.
0 x
I rarely ever buy a rifle, but when I do, it's a Henry.

"Every day above ground, is a good day" ( Al Capone )