Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Two hours out before dark

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Two hours out before dark

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:52 am

Yesterday the temps hit 61* so I got my truck squeaky clean inside and out. Did a nice cleanup under the fenders also to get the mud out from under them. It looked to nice to go back to my normal hunting place and have to drive through the big mud holes entering the property. I went to my other friends place with the big deer hunting tower on it instead. I can enter on a nice grassy area and drive in on pine needles and leaves and never get a tire dirty. :D I got in the tower a couple minutes after 3 PM and figured to stay until 5:15. I was sitting there looking over all the spots on this ground I had at one time killed deer. Almost every place but two or three spots what would be a 75 yd shot from the tower down into a opening in the very thick spots would maybe turn into a 4-500 yd drag if I was dumb enough to take the shot. I would have to drag clear around the property line and then back to my truck. Green briers and some kind of Japanese berry bushes with huge thorns and locust trees have taken over. I started to hear deer activity on the other side of the thickets but they didn't come up in sight while I was there and if they would have I had already mad up my mind not to shoot unless they came up on my side where the drag would have been much easier. So things worked out well. My truck didn't get dirty and no deer dragging was needed. :D After today there is Saturday and the woods is mine again to hunt the things I like to hunt and not have to drag out. The hunters will thin out more now all the time except a few muzzle loader hunters the day after after Christmas for the two week flint lock season. I rarely see a hunter even with that season in and definitely won't on private land I hunt on. After muzzle loader the woods will be free of 99% of hunters up until Feb 28. when everything is over except coyotes and a few pests like skunks and possums.
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Two hours out before dark

Post by Hatchdog » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:09 am

Sounds like you had a very successful hunt! :D :lol:
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:15 am

Just getting out and sitting in the stand is a plus. Gives a guy a little quiet time and time to as I call it air out the old gray matter.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:19 am

Sounds like a nice afternoon to me.
A lot of fun, and no work involved. ;)
To me it's all fun sitting out there just watchin the wildlife.
Because once you pull that trigger, well, the fun part is over and rest is just werk. :(
Glad you had a good day and didn't even get the truck dirty. :lol:

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:24 pm

well understood .... I don't have to catch fish to enjoy going fishing .... if I did, I wouldn't enjoy many times spent fishing .... by the same token, I don't have to kill something to enjoy going hunting .... if I did, I wouldn't have enjoyed many, many days spent in the woods and/or overlooking large bean fields .... also well understood is your thought process in which you analyzed what would happen if you dropped on in given area .... in fact, the older I get the more my mind is prone to wander in that direction .... thanks for reviving some of those memories 8-)
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:06 pm

Today would have been a nice day to sit in the woods. It got warm again today but I stayed home and started every small engine here and left them run a while. They all started good with the non-ethanol fuel in them. What a difference with not using that ethanol crap gas. Then while it was still warm with the sun feeling nice on these old bones I got the needle and thread and sewed a few buttons on one of my flannel shirts I wear a lot and sewed the bottom back in the pocket of my light weight camo hunting jacket that I wear more for everyday than any thing else I own. My load of keys I carry is hard on jacket pockets. So I didn't hunt but accomplished some things I needed to do. The deer hunting is over tomorrow and I doubt I even get up to go. I won't miss deer hunting one bit. It just doesn't mean as much to me any more. I have killed plenty of deer in my life time and the CWD has took the interest out of me for killing any more. Every one have a nice safe week end and have fun. Maybe even shoot?
0 x

Pudsky
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Pudsky » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:28 pm

Hey Bandit. If I lived anywhere close to you, I'd say shoot any shot you could get and call me. Dragging deer is a lot of work. But a big part of the fun for me. We drug deer at camp this year a long ways. Mine about 3/4 of a mile through thick heavy woods. A buddies buck a little over 1.5 miles and a bunch less than that. But thats left for us young guys, the old guys either walk along with us as we take turns, or start drinking beer at camp. But they do have dinner and cold beer ready for us when we get back.
2 x