Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Season moving right along

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Season moving right along

Post by bandit1250 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:28 am

I didn't hunt deer on Sunday. I believe this was the first year Sunday hunting was allowed state wide in Pa. Only on the first Sunday of season. Then yesterday we had heavy rain and winds that made it feel a lot colder than the thermometer showed. Don't want to get sick so I stayed home and worked in my gun room. Last night the winds really picked up to around 25 mph with higher gusts and still about the same this morning or worse. Not my kind of day to be in the woods with all the dead trees that may fall on me or my truck. It is a real easy thing for me not to go deer hunting if things are not to my liking. I used to hunt in any weather years back when getting a deer for winter meat actually meant some thing and it no longer means that much to me. Weather tomorrow sounds better so I may get out to fill a tag and give the deer to my grandson who wants one for his freezer. I can't wait for deer season to be over so I can get out for small game and predators and have the woods pretty much to myself. I guess I could be classed as a not very serious deer hunter. ;) :lol:
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Season moving right along

Post by markiver54 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:07 am

Don't blame Ya bandit. I don't do well with the elements anymore either. Especially cold wind. Add rain to that, forget it!!
2 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:18 am

I quit hunting big game several years ago. I got tired of being out in the cold, the cold rain and the cold snow. My cousin and I all our adult lives hunted a timber company’s land that had great logging roads but was gated. We used mountain bikes to go 3-4 miles past the gate to get away from other hunters during the early season. For the late buck season there was generally snow which prevented us from using the bikes so we hiked in with pack frames. When we killed a deer in the general season we would drape it over a bike and walk it out. Worked great! When we killed a deer during the late season we would skin it, remove the legs, cut it in half and pack it out on our backs. Uggg.

I don’t miss those 34 degree days with 12” of snow on the ground and a cold wet rain coming down. :(

What was a that Mel Gibson movie, We Were Young Once or something like that. That’s us. :lol:

Good luck on your hunt bandit and know we are with you in spirit. :lol:

OH, one other thing. For several years we hunted Elk with muzzle loaders since it was an early season when the bulls would reply to a bugle. Seems like every year we would take a weeks vacation for this hunt and it would rain buckets. I use to joke with him that we were muzzle loader hunting in a swimming pool. :lol:
3 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:19 pm

I was using the leaf blower a week ago and the winds picked up so much I was afraid a branch would fall and I wouldn’t be able to hear it.

Sometimes it’s good to listen to yourself.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater