Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

What do ya'll carry in your hunting backpack?

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

What do ya'll carry in your hunting backpack?

Post by clovishound » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:55 pm

I thought I had most things covered. Went to a new location a couple days ago. There was plenty of open areas without shade, and I had no sunscreen in my pack. This is a big deal for me, as I am fair skinned and have a history of skin cancer.

Any thoughts of what to carry. I hunt on Wildlife Management Areas in my state that have fire roads running through them, and I am seldom more than a couple miles from the vehicle with easy walking. However, you never know when you might be tracking a wounded animal through the rough woods and end up overnight in the boonies.

I normally carry some first aid equipment, a couple knives, spare warm clothes, plastic bags and sheet plastic, rope, map, compass, flashlight, water, fire starter and matches, emergency poncho, and probably a few things I can't think of right now. I probably should pick up a wire saw, and I'm undoubtedly a little light on first aid stuff. My buddy carries a commercial tourniquet, I'm comfortable with the thin rope I carry and a stick. I'm planning on adding a small walkie talkie after last trip.

Thought this might be good post to provide some ideas some of us haven't thought of.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: What do ya'll carry in your hunting backpack?

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:13 pm

I carry Matches fire starter a flashlight and more ammo. I also carry some kind bars and beef jerky. Just added some peptol bismol for when I watch my hunting partner eat the Vienna Sausages he carrys in his pack. Then tops those off with a snickers bar. I can handle the snickers but the vienna sausages not so much.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:25 pm

Let's see GPS, compass, latex gloves, knife, rope/harness, thermos, protein bars, pen, sandwiches, sling, small amount of ammo or bp loads and a small tripod stool.
0 x

Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Team Roper » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:13 am

Humm, latex gloves, Walkie Talkie, glow in the dark trail markers and bright orange ribbon tape, field dressing bag with rags, knives and bone saw, water, coffee thermos , sandwiches, cookies, maybe a snickers bar or two, a drag rope. I usually don't ever need the drag rope cause my atv with sled is usually quite handy, but one never knows, a few rounds of extra ammo, or BP supplies, shooting stick, Tums for heartburn, flashlight and extra batteries for the flashlight and walkie talkie and a little first aid kit, just in case.
0 x
Army Paratrooper
173 rd Airborne Brigade, 2nd/503 rd. Airborne Infantry, Vietnam 66-67, point man, tunnel rat
combat jump 2/67
82 nd Airborne Div. 1st/505th Airborne Infantry, Vietnam, 68, Sniper
jumped with the Army Parachute Team, The Golden Knights.