Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Breaking the rules of a true squirrel hunter

Grunt67
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Breaking the rules of a true squirrel hunter

Post by Grunt67 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:18 pm

I started out squirrel hunting with a Crack Shot 22 single shot, used it well for several yrs., because it was all I had. Finally graduated
to a shotgun. Now I have a really old ( mfg. 1947 ) , H&R single shot 16ga., 30" full choke. Light weight, fun to shoot & gets the job done. No taboo here in my neck of the woods. Haven't had one squirrel complain, LOL.
2 x
I rarely ever buy a rifle, but when I do, it's a Henry.

"Every day above ground, is a good day" ( Al Capone )

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:44 am

bandit1250 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:33 pm
Yesterday right before leaving the woods I knocked my CZ 17 Mach 2 over as it was leaning against the tree beside me. It didn't fall to the ground but the Burris scope took a pretty good hit on the side of the objective. So I went out this morning after seeing what the weather was going to do. Soon as I parked the car I saw a squirrel sitting up about 20 feet in front of the car. Then I got out to put my hunting jacket on and get my rifle from the trunk of the car and seen two more squirrels heading out of there in a hurry. So I went down in the woods and sat down for no more than 2-3 minutes and saw one digging in the leaves. I could only see the tail on the other side of the log and several times his head would pop up for a look around. So I got on my shooting sticks with the CZ and got ready. Up come his head and I squeezed one off and didn't even scare him. So I worked the action slowly and missed again. He stayed right there and the third shot missed. :x So that was the last straw for me. I headed back to the car and put the CZ in the trunk. That is when I broke the squirrel hunters rule on never using shotguns on squirrels. Out of the trunk came the Remington 870 Wingmaster from the '70's with the 30" full choke plain barrel with 2 3/4" chamber. :shock: Things changed pretty fast with the shot gun over the rifle I had knocked the scope out of adjustment on. Running across the ground or through the trees the squirrels were no match for the 12 ga. with the 3 3/4 Dram PMC loads with 1 1/4 ounces of #5's. Five shots and 5 squirrels. Could have killed more but with what I already had at home and the five I had just got that was enough for now. May have been cheating to use the 12 ga. but I have a close friend who only hunts deer with a bow but loves to make squirrel gravy so I took him all 11 I got this week from the couple trips to the woods. He was more than just happy when I took them to him. Hope my fellow squirrel hunters on the forum will forgive me for shot gunning squirrels. ;) :lol:
Have the same exact 870 Wingmaster except in 20ga. Like yours, no vented rib. Finest pump I've ever owned. Mine is a '75.
1 x

Mgderf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mgderf » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:50 pm

Grunt67 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:18 pm
I started out squirrel hunting with a Crack Shot 22 single shot, used it well for several yrs., because it was all I had. Finally graduated
to a shotgun. Now I have a really old ( mfg. 1947 ) , H&R single shot 16ga., 30" full choke. Light weight, fun to shoot & gets the job done. No taboo here in my neck of the woods. Haven't had one squirrel complain, LOL.
I was the exact opposite.
I started squirrel hunting with a Mossberg 500 pump in 12ga.
My problem was that I was too good a shot, lol.
I could not seem to hit with just a few pellets. I would almost always come away with half a squirrel, if that much.

I switched to using a .22lr and never looked back.
I get much more squirrel meat these days.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:08 pm

My squirrel gun is a Mossberg 500E in .410.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:09 pm

Almost every squirrel I have taken has been with my good 'ol Sheridan pump pellet rifle.
Would not hesitate to use a shotgun or 22 either though. I hate tree rats.
I have an old Stevens 22-410 that would probably be a great varmit rifle. Have hardly ever shot it. Inherited it from my FIL.
It's pretty old. Don't know much about it. It has a simulated wood, plastic stock and a CCH reciever.
BTW...does anyone know anything about this old rifle?
20200302_120147.jpg
Once again, not very good pics...sorry; have to work on that. :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:23 pm

Some history here http://www.fourten.org.uk/mwsavage24.html
markiver54 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:09 pm
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:22 pm

Mags wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:23 pm
Some history here http://www.fourten.org.uk/mwsavage24.html
markiver54 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:09 pm
Thank you very much Mags!!
Lot of great info I did not know! I might have to start having some fun with it.
I appreciate your research! 8-)
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:21 pm

I started hunting squirrels growing up in Florida in my late teens. Used my stepmom's old single shot Stevens .410. My buddy used a 12 gauge. My squirrels had almost all the pellets just under the skin, rarely penetrating the muscle membrane. My buddy was always picking shot from the meat, and often his teeth, when he missed one.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya