Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Python Hunting

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Python Hunting

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:13 am

True enough, though I'm sure there must be a few young people still living there. ;)
Henry88 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:03 pm
Florida is reverting to the Jurassic Age............
2 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:27 pm

Sorry Bro, Jurassic , not Geriatric 8-)
4 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:00 pm

:lol:
0 x

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bugs » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:42 am

Our iguana problem here in SW Florida is out of control. For a few years (in my neck of the woods) they were concentrated in the Boca Grande area but since have spread into Englewood and Port Charlotte. They get into people's attics and they are a familiar sight in trees and running across lawns and people's attics. We also now have several other larger invasive lizard species here which have nasty bites. The python problem is also out of control and they have spread way beyond the Glades. Thoughts of eradication are just that "thoughts"; once invasive species gain a foothold in a hospitable environment they are all but impossible to eradicate. Limited predation of a species and guys with shotguns are not going to eliminate a predatory snake that has the ability to prosper and adapt to a suitable environment that provides boundless habitat and prey species. Best case scenario is they may be able to slow the spread of the invasion but the species will prosper here despite our best laid plans and efforts. We will just add them to our ever growing list of invasive species and learn to live with them. As for the shotgun predators may those good ole boys have some fun out in the Glades and earn some $$$.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:11 am

Have the number of 'missing' persons in the Everglades gone up in recent years?
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:45 am

I read online yesterday where a lady in India was killed an eaten by a python when she went out to check her crops.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:25 pm

Mistered wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:08 am
Taste like chicken!
I am hoping they taste like rattlesnake, or frogs legs.
The pythons are hoping you do also. :lol:
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:37 pm

The pythons are hoping you do also.
Actually I was referring to the iguanas but the pythons might not be too bad either - ever had rattlesnake? Pretty good eatin'!
0 x

jimbo510
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by jimbo510 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:40 pm

This is slightly off topic but I am an LEO and started my career in a small hick town. Think of it as Mayberry with meth. One afternoon I got a call from dispatch about a lady who had a strange animal in her yard that tried to eat her Chihuahua. Dispatch said the lady described the animal as a dinosaur. So i am expecting to deal with a person on drugs or with mental issues. When I get to the house the lady is standing in the yard holding her dog and said "It's in the bushes" and she pointed to a big tree covered in english Ivy. I saw a little bit of a tail sticking out and it looked to me like a black snake so I pulled it a bit and 3 foot monitor lizard shot out after me and hissed like a Jurassic Park resident. I screamed like girl and back peddled and fell on my rear end. The lizard stopped after the first lunge and just sat there hissing. The supervisor over the sewer department was an odd guy who hung out with the Hells Angels caught the thing and we thought it was a komodo dragon. He took it to a zoo and it was some kind of monitor lizard from Asia I think, and they seized it from him and said it was not safe to keep because it had a dirty bite and would eat anything it could over power. It was probably someones pet that either escaped or let go.
4 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:56 pm

That's funny rhat thar.

Miss T went thru a weird pet phase when we first married and the kids were young, I built her a climate controlled, glass fronted cage about four foot high, four foot deep and ten foot long... The glass came from an old butcher's case at a grocery store owned by a friend and was nearly a half inch thick, had a green tint and weighed a ton.

Over several years Tina had a monitor... Iguana, sugar glider, chameleon, prairie dog, ball python... Just to name a few. The iguana and ball python were both over six feet long. She was a favorite of the pet shop owner. Tina would buy young pets, raise and feed them, and when she tired of dealing with them, sell them back for store credit, buying some other weirdo pet. :D Never once did we release a pet into the environment.

We came close. Prairie dogs are escape artists... ;)

He was the last one, when we took him back, we took the store credit in t shirts for the four kids. :lol: Then, I disassembled the huge glass fronted cage. Only then did I discover the "sly dog" had been planning his escape. He had chewed threw the linoleum lining the bottom of the cage, the two sheets of 5/8 plywood, the carpet under the cage itself, the hardwood floor under the carpet, and was almost thru the subfloor. :o

He had been covering the hole with shavings during the day, and the hole was UNDER the large driftwood perch in the corner of the cage. If he had gotten under the house, he would likely have tunneled under the foundation to escape, or chewed thru a vent. In zoos, the little dogs have been known to chew thru concrete to escape. :roll:
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.