Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Hunt with a Henry

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Hunt with a Henry

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:41 am

My wife, dog and me spent the last week up at out property which is about five miles south of the northern border. We did quite a bit of grouse hunting and a whole lot of relaxing. Total take of grouse for the pot was….zero. In fact we saw our first and only grouse on the last morning of our hunt. We put 65 miles on the ranger driving logging roads and spent time hiking the roads and draws. Over the years we have takes lots of birds from this area so we were very surprised with the low bird count. Last winter was pretty severe and very long and could have affected the population. I read a report that both Spokane and Pend Oreille counties were not producing many birds and where we were in Stevens county is adjacent to those two counties.

Interesting that a day before we arrived the game dept had trapped and relocated a Grizzly bear from the area. Onion Creek is not known for any grizzlies so this was a surprise. Not sure exactly where this bear was causing trouble but the neighbor across the road thought is was in the general area. I ran across this pile of bear crap and it’s the biggest pile I have ever seen. The ammo next to it is eight 327 Fed Mags in a Bianchi speed strip for size reference.

Here’s an interesting short read in the local paper about the grizzly.

GRIZZLY BEAR RELOCATED AFTER ROBBING CHICKEN COOP
https://edition.pagesuite.com/popovers/ ... 9c8&pnum=1#

Interesting side note, the Sullivan Lake area the bear was relocated to is where my cousin and I hunted Elk for years and my wife and I have camped also for years. It is a grizzly recovery zone so we have always been aware of the threat and prepared accordingly.

Even tho we will have to depend on the grocery store to survive this winter we had a wonderful time and the dog loved every minute of it.

Trey and my Henry 410.

IMG_4347.jpeg

Does a bear poop in the woods?

IMG_4338.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Hunt with a Henry

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:22 pm

Fine looking dog to
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

graywolf
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by graywolf » Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:11 am

Sounds like you had a good week. A few grouse would have been nice though. Even shooting the 410 would be nice.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:10 am

graywolf wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:11 am
Sounds like you had a good week. A few grouse would have been nice though. Even shooting the 410 would be nice.
I shot it a few times with some target loads just to give the dog some exposure. He gets real excited and even shooting my 22lr in camp got him worked up. All in a good way, excitement and anticipation not fear.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:17 am

Too bad about only seeing one grouse. Still, it sounds like you had a nice time.

Interesting about the bear.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member