Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Hunting Permission

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Hunting Permission

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:59 pm

A neighbor stopped by and asked permission to hunt from my property. More specifically to sit in his truck in my driveway so he could see the field across the road. I gave him and any locals he knew permission. I told him no city folks and he said one was from the city but owned some of the land they would be hunting.

Five minutes after he left I saw three deer walking where he could see from where he wanted to park. He knows the game trails.
5 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Hunting Permission

Post by daytime dave » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:26 am

I'm sure your neighbor appreciates your generosity.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:38 am

That's good, Gene. Neighbors should help each other and since you aren't hunting deer and you trust this neighbor, why not let him hunt deer?

I'd have no problem letting a neighbor shoot deer on our property, but I think there are too many neighbors close by to be safe for rifle hunting, but a bow would be fine. Just no one in our area that hunts with a bow. Too bad. Our neighborhood forest is in bad shape, heavily over-browsed and we really need to thin the neighborhood deer herd.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:14 pm

Not sure about up there, but here, it is illegal to hunt from a vehicle. Permission to hunt your land though is nice of you.
2 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:54 pm

As I understand it driving around looking for game or sitting in a vehicle looking for game do not by themselves violate hunting laws. Violation comes when shooting from a vehicle cab or bed. Here that includes while sitting on an ATV, snowmobile, motor cycle, even a bicycle.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:10 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:14 pm
Not sure about up there, but here, it is illegal to hunt from a vehicle. Permission to hunt your land though is nice of you.
I don’t think he meant firing from inside his truck. Besides he can’t shoot across the road either. With no snow on the ground he could park on the shoulder. Now he can’t do that and he can’t park in the road. My driveway is the most logical spot.

I didn’t mention it but he was the same guy that plowed my driveway last winter. He is also the husband of one of the Our Town members. And he is the uncle of one of the guys I worked with for the Christmas Tree Festival.

Three last names make up about a third of my contacts and his last name is one. I have nine contract with the same last name as the most. Lots of families are a combination of those names because they often married their neighbor. I’m talking about families that live within five miles of me.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:47 pm

Mags wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:54 pm
As I understand it driving around looking for game or sitting in a vehicle looking for game do not by themselves violate hunting laws. Violation comes when shooting from a vehicle cab or bed. Here that includes while sitting on an ATV, snowmobile, motor cycle, even a bicycle.
I hear Ya Mags. I guess the important part is to not have the firearm in/on the vehicle while looking. Where Gene is though, it would be highly unlikely for the game warden to come into his driveway (private property). Up there, he probably knows the warden. 😁
The scenario just caught my attention, but it's a different world here than it is there.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rickhem » Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:54 am

I just deleted a long post about one of my neighbors.
Suffice to say that not all neighborly interactions are what we'd like.
I've since found out that all of the other neighbors had similar experiences with him.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:49 am

A couple of weeks ago I saw the same man as last year. This time he was picking apples off the ground on my new property. I stopped and talked to him for a few minutes. I’ve also noticed ATV tracks across the hay field where he most likely rode to replenish a deer feeder. Another neighbor often rides his ATV over the field to my house for a cup of coffee. It’s common to have neighbors like that stop by.
0 x

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rickhem » Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:12 am

I agree that it's common and welcome.....to a point. This guy and his family once owned the majority of the land around here, and he apparently had the house that I now own built in the mid 90s. He still feels that he can come and go whenever and wherever he wants. I put my number in his cell phone, a flip phone, and asked him to let me know whenever he was going to be on my land. I shoot frequently, and I told him I didn't want to be shooting if he was roaming around down in the woods. Hasn't done that once.
1 x