Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Wild boar/pig ranch...

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Wild boar/pig ranch...

Post by Kissmybrass » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:51 am

Thinking of finally going hunting but have no idea how to get started.
Thought I'd go to a ranch but is this like "fish in a barrel" style?
I'd like to earn my first harvest and don't want to take a dozen steps and shoot something.
But, being a newbie and getting all confused about WA hunting areas and law this might be the answer.
Any input is soooooo appreciated and needed. I'm coming from a non-gun family and friend upbringing so can't really get out in the woods with anyone.
KMB
0 x
H010G 45-70
H006M Big Boy Classic .357
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Wild boar/pig ranch...

Post by markiver54 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:46 pm

Because you have no family to hunt with, I think a hunting ranch would be the right way to start.
Hope you find what you're looking for. I wish you much luck, and lots of fun!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:26 pm

I looked into the put and take boar hunts when living in Washington. They are not like the wild pigs we have in the south. Some can be no better than sausage meat. Look into them and see if that's what you are really into.

Honestly, I never did go in for the boar hunts. I ended up picking up bird hunting. I got in with a few guys shooting skeet and clays. I did a lot of put and take bird hunts, and they were always a fun time. Often they have their own dogs you can use. The trap,skeet, sporting clays guys are good people. and sometimes they will have an in on waterfowl or private land bird hunting.

That kind of walking in the woods with a dog is a special kind of opportunity. I love my time doing bird hunts. Now i deer hunt. I use crossbow, black powder, subsonic 300 black out/308, and 6.5x55 swede. I am hoping to use my henry 45colt and 357 mag this year.

All of that started with my time at the shotgun range and meeting people and making connections through the club.
1 x

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Kissmybrass » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:41 pm

DsGrouse wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:26 pm
I looked into the put and take boar hunts when living in Washington. They are not like the wild pigs we have in the south. Some can be no better than sausage meat. Look into them and see if that's what you are really into.

Honestly, I never did go in for the boar hunts. I ended up picking up bird hunting. I got in with a few guys shooting skeet and clays. I did a lot of put and take bird hunts, and they were always a fun time. Often they have their own dogs you can use. The trap,skeet, sporting clays guys are good people. and sometimes they will have an in on waterfowl or private land bird hunting.

That kind of walking in the woods with a dog is a special kind of opportunity. I love my time doing bird hunts. Now i deer hunt. I use crossbow, black powder, subsonic 300 black out/308, and 6.5x55 swede. I am hoping to use my henry 45colt and 357 mag this year.

All of that started with my time at the shotgun range and meeting people and making connections through the club.
Thanks! Handgun hunting interests me but I got a 45-70 itch to scratch before branching out :-)
1 x
H010G 45-70
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:44 pm

There used to be a bison hunt in easter Washington, and that might be a way to go.
2 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:01 pm

Awe heck KMB, head out to the Olympic Peninsula and give one of those Blacktails a dose of 45/70! Just kidding of course. I believe the Kalispel Tribe over here in eastern Washington used to have a Bison cull hunt. My brother’s FIL participated some years ago. I had a Marlin 45/70 at the time and had I known about it prior I would have offered it to him.

Here’s a link should you want to contact them. A quick glance didn’t offer any info on hunts.

https://kalispeltribe.com/
1 x

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Kissmybrass » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:33 am

Hatchdog wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:01 pm
Awe heck KMB, head out to the Olympic Peninsula and give one of those Blacktails a dose of 45/70! Just kidding of course. I believe the Kalispel Tribe over here in eastern Washington used to have a Bison cull hunt. My brother’s FIL participated some years ago. I had a Marlin 45/70 at the time and had I known about it prior I would have offered it to him.

Here’s a link should you want to contact them. A quick glance didn’t offer any info on hunts.

https://kalispeltribe.com/
Thanks HD!!
0 x
H010G 45-70
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:10 am

I believe in Fair Chase and would recommend you contact the Boone and Crockett Club.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_chase

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boone_and_Crockett_Club
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Kissmybrass » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:49 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:10 am
I believe in Fair Chase and would recommend you contact the Boone and Crockett Club.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_chase

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boone_and_Crockett_Club
Just got on their website, excellent resource! thank you!
1 x
H010G 45-70
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac