1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Re: You don’t hunt you don’t eat

Post by Shakey Jake » Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:07 pm

Great story! Glad to hear that you're getting to know the neighbors.
Jake
0 x

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:57 pm

I hunt some but no expert by any means. If my food supply depended on it, I'd be a lot slimmer and hungry. I actually like fishing better than hunting.
My grandpa was no hunter but he did raise cattle, hogs, & chickens and farmed the land with a team of mules until 1935 - traded is team of mules for a John Deere model B.
Sir Henry, I bet the winters are hard but if there could be heaven on earth, you must be close.
0 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:30 pm

I don't hunt now, however when SHTF I will be more than ready. ;)
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:03 am

Steve51 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:57 pm
I hunt some but no expert by any means. If my food supply depended on it, I'd be a lot slimmer and hungry. I actually like fishing better than hunting.
My grandpa was no hunter but he did raise cattle, hogs, & chickens and farmed the land with a team of mules until 1935 - traded is team of mules for a John Deere model B.
Sir Henry, I bet the winters are hard but if there could be heaven on earth, you must be close.
Days are getting longer and even though it got down below zero it got up to 38 in the day. I like the cold although at times it get old. All things considered this is heaven.

RanchRoper wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:30 pm
I don't hunt now, however when SHTF I will be more than ready. ;)
If the SHTF I’m moving in with you!
3 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:19 am

Those who live in the north appreciate spring just a little bit more than folks who live in a not so cold environment. It’s the reward for a hard winter.

I no longer hunt big game but if the need arose I could get out and get it done just fine. I raise my eyebrows at people who live in bigger cities who state that if the SHTF they would bug out and survive off the land. There is such a limited amount of wildlife out there that even a mild influx of people bugging out would soon wipe out all the game. But i suppose it’s better than the alternative of staying in the urban area’s with the looting and rioting that would happen. Okay, Debbie Downer Hatch, back on topic of a wonderful 97 year old women who has seen it all. :D
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:30 am

Hatchdog wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:19 am
Those who live in the north appreciate spring just a little bit more than folks who live in a not so cold environment. It’s the reward for a hard winter.

I no longer hunt big game but if the need arose I could get out and get it done just fine. I raise my eyebrows at people who live in bigger cities who state that if the SHTF they would bug out and survive off the land. There is such a limited amount of wildlife out there that even a mild influx of people bugging out would soon wipe out all the game. But i suppose it’s better than the alternative of staying in the urban area’s with the looting and rioting that would happen. Okay, Debbie Downer Hatch, back on topic of a wonderful 97 year old women who has seen it all. :D
I do want to harvest one deer in my life. I believe in ‘fair chase’ and will allow myself one bullet. If I can’t absolutely know that I can drop the animal in its tracks I will pass on taking the shot.
0 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:28 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:30 am
I do want to harvest one deer in my life. I believe in ‘fair chase’ and will allow myself one bullet. If I can’t absolutely know that I can drop the animal in its tracks I will pass on taking the shot.
I will strongly recommend you bring along a few more bullets. I am in the same philosophy camp as you, in the “if I can’t drop it where it stands, I don’t take the shot”, but it only takes a gust of wind or the deer to move as you squeeze the trigger to ruin that perfect shot. In fairness to the deer, bring some extra rounds along with your excellent attitude!

I was unsure if I would be “ok” with taking anything larger than a turkey, but I am, and I’m really enjoying the meat. I tanned the hide etc so made the most I could out of the animal. Being in Wisconsin, you’ll have a pretty easy time getting into a whitetail.
2 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:31 pm

Redthies wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:28 pm
Sir Henry wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:30 am
I will strongly recommend you bring along a few more bullets. I am in the same philosophy camp as you, in the “if I can’t drop it where it stands, I don’t take the shot”, but it only takes a gust of wind or the deer to move as you squeeze the trigger to ruin that perfect shot. In fairness to the deer, bring some extra rounds along with your excellent attitude!

I was unsure if I would be “ok” with taking anything larger than a turkey, but I am, and I’m really enjoying the meat. I tanned the hide etc so made the most I could out of the animal. Being in Wisconsin, you’ll have a pretty easy time getting into a whitetail.
I believe Andy gave Barney three bullets. I would also carry a pistol.
0 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:45 pm

Then you’re all set! We can’t carry a pistol while hunting here, but if we could, I definitely would.
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF