You don’t hunt you don’t eat

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: You don’t hunt you don’t eat

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:08 pm

Redthies wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:45 pm
Then you’re all set! We can’t carry a pistol while hunting here, but if we could, I definitely would.
I’m assuming it’s legal in Wisconsin. I’ll need to study the laws here.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:44 pm

Barney only had one and he kept it in his shirt pocket. Really they are cartridges a bullet by itself mite work if you had a slingshot. Good advice about taking more than on round of ammo unless you want to do a lot of tracking or see a wounded deer get away .Good Luck.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:24 am

Sir Henry wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:30 am
Hatchdog wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:19 am
Those who live in the north appreciate spring just a little bit more than folks who live in a not so cold environment. It’s the reward for a hard winter.

I no longer hunt big game but if the need arose I could get out and get it done just fine. I raise my eyebrows at people who live in bigger cities who state that if the SHTF they would bug out and survive off the land. There is such a limited amount of wildlife out there that even a mild influx of people bugging out would soon wipe out all the game. But i suppose it’s better than the alternative of staying in the urban area’s with the looting and rioting that would happen. Okay, Debbie Downer Hatch, back on topic of a wonderful 97 year old women who has seen it all. :D
I do want to harvest one deer in my life. I believe in ‘fair chase’ and will allow myself one bullet. If I can’t absolutely know that I can drop the animal in its tracks I will pass on taking the shot.

I always preferred a lung shot if the deer was standing broadside to me, I would just aim right behind the front shoulder. A deer will run for 50 to 100 yards or so but will be dead. This shot doesn’t ruin any meat. Some folks shoot right into the shoulder aiming for more of a heart shot which will generally drop the deer where it stands but does ruin some meat. Of course a head or neck shot would be best but that’s a pretty small target on a whitetail at 100-150 yards away.
3 x

zara_puppy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by zara_puppy » Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:56 pm

The only legal deer hunting rifles I own are all single shots. But I carry spare bullets in my pocket. Generally three. Of the four I’ve used only the .243 has dropped all the deer it has hit where they stand. That’s odd because the others are a .357, a .270 and a very nasty .451 in-line. Point is even with a very good shot most deer most time will leave the area - and you might have to track a bit to find it. But if you know you made a good shot and you get a decent blood trail I find a good track very gratifying. Now the bears thing - that would cause me to carry a sidearm.

A good reason to take whitetail even if you don’t have to is that it is red meat that is not injected with hormones or steroids or vaccines. It is red meat that is not marbled - so once you trim off the fat and silver skin it’s “all meat”. Imagine - red meat that’s good for your heart. Until you wrap it in bacon! 😉
2 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:48 pm

But, but the bacon makes it so goood. :o ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

zara_puppy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by zara_puppy » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:06 pm

The true loin (some call it “fish” around here) is a tube of lean meat. It was DESIGNED to be cut into bacon width size chunks. Soak some toothpicks, get a knife and scissors - hot cast iron. Wrap, pin, snip the bacon, cut. Not necessarily in that order. Fast and easy and oh my gosh good.

And I’ll pray for you if you get between my daughter and a seared rare backstrap.
3 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:54 am

Hatchdog wrote:
Those who live in the north appreciate spring just a little bit more than folks who live in a not so cold environment. It’s the reward for a hard winter.
Those of us who live a wee further south realize that while spring is a beautiful time of year, it also means we will be sweating like pigs in a short while. Having lived in Nebraska for a few winters, I will gladly endure the heat of summer in order to skip the snow, ice and sub zero temps.
2 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:16 am

clovishound wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:54 am
Hatchdog wrote:
Those of us who live a wee further south realize that while spring is a beautiful time of year, it also means we will be sweating like pigs in a short while. Having lived in Nebraska for a few winters, I will gladly endure the heat of summer in order to skip the snow, ice and sub zero temps.
I don’t know, I’ve only been in high humidity twice in my life and as Rosanna Rosanna Danna used to say, “Thought I was gonna die” :lol:

I have lots of respect for those who live and survive in high humidity areas. One can dress for the cold but I would think that humidity would just be hard to adjust for.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:37 am

Dry snow is fun. Wet snow is not!
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:55 am

Hatchdog wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:16 am
I don’t know, I’ve only been in high humidity twice in my life and as Rosanna Rosanna Danna used to say, “Thought I was gonna die” :lol:

I have lots of respect for those who live and survive in high humidity areas. One can dress for the cold but I would think that humidity would just be hard to adjust for.
Well, I grew up in Florida. I didn't have A/C in my bedroom until I was almost out of high school. I well remember doing preflights on C-141s in Panama wearing those darned flight suits. For those who have never worn one, their only saving grace is flame resistance. They will broil you in the summer and freeze you in the winter. Anyway, after takeoff, I would have to go into the stinky little latrine onboard and change my flight suit. Absolutely soaked through and dripping wet. It wasn't all that hot in Panama, usually low to mid 90s, but the humidity definitely put Florida to shame.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya