Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

You don’t hunt you don’t eat

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

You don’t hunt you don’t eat

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:34 am

I had dinner with the neighbors last night and asked if anyone has heard me shooting. No one had. Then the 97 year old grandmother asked me if I hunted. I said no and she replied if you don’t hunt you don’t eat. Followed was her stories of harvesting deer with bow and her encounters with bear. After dinner was over everyone left the table except me and “mommie”. We stayed at the table for another two hours and she kept telling me stories about the area. She moved here in 1946 with her husband. He was born here as was his father and grandfather. The family was owned the land for 150 years.

Other neighbors have owned land for almost as long. The house I bought was built in the 1890’s and the owner of the land around me was born in my house. Another neighbor was born in the log cabin that I can see from my front window.

This area is heaven if you can survive the long winters.
7 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: You don’t hunt you don’t eat

Post by JEBar » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:47 am

"You don’t hunt you don’t eat" is all too well understood in our family .... my father's people come from Western NC ... back during the great depression, his parents along the families of his brothers and sister had to raise gardens, hunt and fish in order to survive .... sounds more and more like you've moved to an area with great neighbors
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:54 am

Sounds like a wonderful evening.
I still hunt some but I don't depend on it.
Now back in my early 20's I did, raising a family and tryin to make ends meet.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:01 am

It sounds like you are making friends quickly there. It's nice that they have welcomed you like that. It sounds like a great place.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:29 am

Might not be any palm trees there Gene but it sounds like you have found paradise in your life
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:45 am

That’s awesome that a 97 year old can sit for a couple of hours and share stories. What a treasure!
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:55 am

daytime dave wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:01 am
It sounds like you are making friends quickly there. It's nice that they have welcomed you like that. It sounds like a great place.
It’s great for someone with my political views. I see lots of signs saying hurrah for one political party. It is especially heavy within 10 miles of me. I had breakfast with a group at the Hill of Beans and mentioned I didn’t lock my house when I left. Everyone at the table said they don’t lock their house unless they are going to be gone for the night. A couple of the people added they always leave the keys in the ignition.

If I were a criminal and saw all the signs I would move on. The names and charges of the Price County Jail inmates is online. A few property crimes in towns of a few thousand but few in the country. Drunken bar fights and spousal abuse are the biggest crimes.

Going into the larger cities things change and robbery and assaults are more frequent. The Driftless Area further south near the Illinois border is almost as rural as here yet the demographics are totally different.

I have only ventured north about 20 miles and don’t know what is up there. I suspect it’s even more to my political liking. I can see on the maps there are National Forests and fewer roads. The population can double in the summer with tourists and I’m right at the edge of where that all begins. Joanie has been a great help in showing me the lines where things change.

I love it here.
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:58 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:29 am
Might not be any palm trees there Gene but it sounds like you have found paradise in your life
These are the trees I see. The picture was taken a week or so ago when we had a warm spell. The sap is no longer flowing.
88580510-95A4-4CE5-988D-EF72518C0A5C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:01 am

Hatchdog wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:45 am
That’s awesome that a 97 year old can sit for a couple of hours and share stories. What a treasure!
Her memory and eyesight are good. She showed me the family picture album and she had no trouble remembering names and she could easily see to identify people and places.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:29 am

I like real maple syrup. Aint nothin better.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55