Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Coon hunting

jester31780
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Coon hunting

Post by jester31780 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:08 pm

Just seeing if there are any coon dog hunters on here loved doing it when I was a kid my olds daughter showed a lot of interest in it so I starting her on her first dog today shes going to have alot to learn
0 x

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Coon hunting

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:10 pm

The lack of money in hides has about killed coon hunting around here.. a shame
, cause the coon population...and the population of other nest predators such as skunks and possums has exploded...which is hurting the turkey population. Sure,sure... some predation is part of nature but when one segment gets out of balance it can certainly impact other species..... I have only seen one wild turkey poult all year... last week I saw seven adult turkeys, five of them were hens and not a young one in sight...I think I will trap some this winter to see if I can reduce nest predators locally....
Hummm.... sorry... I got on a tangent... this threads supposed to be about coon hunting with dogs... bavk on topic: There used to lots of guys aound here that coon hunted...... no more...and I fear that is why my turkeys are taking it on the chin.. I wish we had a gob of coon hunters around here!!!
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:27 pm

Nope, I went once a few years back. Nope didn't care much about it.
Now my wife's grandfather, no longer with us. He's killed more than his fair share, he had enough trophies to fill a full size long wheel base pickup truck bed.

Good luck to you though. 👍

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:15 pm

When we were teenagers, a neighbor on one of the other farms was big into coon hunting with dogs. He was a diehard hound man and ran Treeing Walkers with impressive bloodlines. We learned a lot about coons and hounds and had the greatest amount of respect for both. Great memories.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:11 pm

I had a coon problem in Ephrata. I spoke with the Fish and Game people and they said they were a fur bearing animal and needed a permit which they didn’t want to give me.

I spoke with an LEO the next day about it and he told me to just shoot em. He knows the house is directly across from a grade school and was not a bit concerned about me discharging a firearm inside the city and next to a school.

Overs the years I killed about a dozen.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

brm4450
Drover
United States of America

Post by brm4450 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:57 pm

South Dakota put a bounty on them:
The Nest Predator Bounty Program ran from April 1, 2021 until July 1, 2021.
Species Included: Primary nest predators - raccoons, striped skunks, badgers, opossums, and red fox.
Time Period: To be eligible for the bounty program, the nest predators listed above must be harvested during the program timeframe. The bounty program ran from April 1 – July 1.

two years of the program, approximately 4,300 program participants removed nearly 81,000 nest predators. 93 percent of the nest predators were from eastern South Dakota (Minnehaha, Yankton, Turner, Beadle, Brookings). In 2020, 16% of participants were 17 years-old and younger.

Participants will receive $10 per tail for the following species outlined above. Participants must submit the tail bone and entire tail of these species to receive payment.
1 x
H012C, 2 H004V, H001TMER, H004SV, H001TV, H001TLB, H003T, H005MG, H001V, H001TLP, Rossi Ranch Hand, Uberti 1860, Ubérti 1866 Goldenboy
"when you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk" Tuco