Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Me, myself, and I...

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Me, myself, and I...

Post by Kissmybrass » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:29 pm

So far those are the only three people I know that hunt around here.
I really want to go but not sure if I should go about this alone or treat it as a survival hike like I love to do anyways?
I think most people start within the family or with friends that hunt. I have zero of those.
Maybe there's a club? I dunno just thinking off the top of my head. If any of you WA hunters want to show me the ropes the coffee and ammo's on me!
D
0 x
H010G 45-70
H006M Big Boy Classic .357
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Me, myself, and I...

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:35 pm

I don’t hunt but if move to Montana I might start hunting.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:50 pm

If you are thinking about hunting big game (Deer or Elk) I suggest you not go alone. Just the work involved with packing your animal out to the truck is a lot of work. A good idea for starting out especially if you are alone is to walk skid roads looking for grouse. It is legal here in Washington State to shoot them on the ground or on the wing. If you do this pay particular attention to any places water crosses under the road. Generally in switch backs. Grouse congregate near water especially in drought years like this one. Legal to take with either a shotgun or rifle/handgun but your Henry 45-70 might be a bit much for one. :lol:
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:15 pm

I can understand. I am in a similar boat. So, I use public land. The haul is what I think about as well. I try and stick to areas that are easy for a drag. Maybe, that is why I am still looking. But, time of day seems to play a part as well. Therefore, I plan to try during evening instead of morning. At least, that is what I was told is a good time.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Kissmybrass » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:28 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:50 pm
If you are thinking about hunting big game (Deer or Elk) I suggest you not go alone. Just the work involved with packing your animal out to the truck is a lot of work. A good idea for starting out especially if you are alone is to walk skid roads looking for grouse. It is legal here in Washington State to shoot them on the ground or on the wing. If you do this pay particular attention to any places water crosses under the road. Generally in switch backs. Grouse congregate near water especially in drought years like this one. Legal to take with either a shotgun or rifle/handgun but your Henry 45-70 might be a bit much for one. :lol:
Well I'm always looking for excuses to buy a new rifle lolol
1 x
H010G 45-70
H006M Big Boy Classic .357
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac