Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Things are about to get interesting

Ogur
Wrangler
Sweden

Things are about to get interesting

Post by Ogur » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:56 pm

I've been voted in in a hunting team here in Sweden, so now I have access to a decent bit of land. Plus, I was invited for a brown bear hunt 21st of august. Then the first monday of september we start a week of moose hunting. Then a capercaille/grouse hunt in the last weekend of september, followed by a few days of moose hunting in october.

As a novice this will be really cool andeducational for me.

What hunts do you guys have in the pipe the coming season?
3 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: Things are about to get interesting

Post by Vaquero » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:17 pm

Only a little deer hunting here, we haven't decided whether or not we will go north this year for a pheasant hunt in Oct.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:19 pm

:D I bet you can’t wait.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Ogur
Wrangler
Sweden

Post by Ogur » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:21 pm

Waiting is part of hunting, but this has been a goal for me for quite a long time. And part of the reason I emigrated from the Netherlands to Sweden.
0 x

Ogur
Wrangler
Sweden

Post by Ogur » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:52 pm

First bear hunt was really relaxing. Masses of tracks and poop, but the dogs only picked up one. No shot though as there was too much undergrowth. Couldn't see the dogs, just the bear at 60ish metres. It ran off outside our hunting area after that. Still, good experience!
3 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:50 pm

Always exciting to actually see some game, even if you don't take anything home. We've been hunting feral hogs here, although I'll take a deer if one pops up. Where I live, you only need to buy a hunting license and Wildlife Management Area permit to be allowed to hunt on WMA lands. This is many thousands of acres of woodland in many parts of the state. We have a couple of very large sections near me. The popular game to hunt is deer, hogs, ducks, squirrel and many other species. The WMA lands are not overloaded with game animals, but with a little patience, you can bring something home for the freezer. The biggest problem is insects. Mosquitos and ticks are bad until well into November. Off and a Thermacell are your friends.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Ogur
Wrangler
Sweden

Post by Ogur » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:10 am

Here the team moose hunt is over. We took 10 moose. 4 bulls, 3 cows, 3 calves from oyr roughly 3000 hectares of land. Shared the meat between 17 people, whicj gave everyone roughly 70 kilos of meat.

So the rest of the season it's small game hunting, assuming I can find time to actually go out. Hard with 3 small kids. I have to get out and do something about the foxes. They are getting too close for comfort. Any roedeer I come across get to follow me home. Same for grouse and capercaille.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:40 am

Well, time is not a problem for me now, I retired a couple months ago. Although, I would gladly trade having to go to work, and having more family obligations for being in my 30s or 40s again.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

brm4450
Drover
United States of America

Post by brm4450 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:51 am

I find your reports most fascinating, please keep them coming.
1 x
H012C, 2 H004V, H001TMER, H004SV, H001TV, H001TLB, H003T, H005MG, H001V, H001TLP, Rossi Ranch Hand, Uberti 1860, Ubérti 1866 Goldenboy
"when you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk" Tuco