Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Should I Become A Hunter?

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Should I Become A Hunter?

Post by Hatchdog » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:01 am

I agree with Al that Elk is much more tasty than Deer but Elk hunting is also much more difficult. Both in the actual hunt itself and processing the animal once it’s down. Generally depending on how far from the truck you are you will have to quarter the animal and pack it out on a meat frame on your back. That’s a lot of work and requires more than one person.

Generally speaking deer are so much more plentiful and much easier to process.
2 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:04 am

Sir Henry wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:33 pm
I’ll most likely take the first responsible harvest I come across. Which will most likely be a deer close to where the house is.
I'm not up on Montana laws for hunting on private property, but check the fish and game people for that. Some States allow baiting, some don't.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:11 am

GunnyGene wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:04 am
Sir Henry wrote:
I’ll most likely take the first responsible harvest I come across. Which will most likely be a deer close to where the house is.
I'm not up on Montana laws for hunting on private property, but check the fish and game people for that. Some States allow baiting, some don't.
I don’t believe Montana allows baiting or even salt licks. You can hunt on your own land as long as all the other laws like shooting across a road is not broken.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:42 am

I agree with the positive comments made about elk .... for the most part our eastern deer live in the woods and eat leaves, twigs and such .... the deer in South Dakota graze in fields along side cattle and horses .... for my money the SD deer taste much better .... we've always taken our deer from still walking all the way to a freezer .... black bear and boar have been taken from field cleaning to a processor
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:03 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:11 am
GunnyGene wrote:
Sir Henry wrote:
I don’t believe Montana allows baiting or even salt licks. You can hunt on your own land as long as all the other laws like shooting across a road is not broken.
MS is pretty lenient about that, but many folks with some acreage prefer to lay in a food plot. That's generally going to be an acre (approx), and typically will be a combination of warm and cool weather forage, such as clover, wheat, and oats. The exact mix may be different up there, but it works well here. Montana may allow plots if you can't set up a feeder or lick.
2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:52 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:03 pm
Sir Henry wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:11 am
GunnyGene wrote:

MS is pretty lenient about that, but many folks with some acreage prefer to lay in a food plot. That's generally going to be an acre (approx), and typically will be a combination of warm and cool weather forage, such as clover, wheat, and oats. The exact mix may be different up there, but it works well here. Montana may allow plots if you can't set up a feeder or lick.
In a quick search I’ve found planting food plots for deer is illegal. However if you plant the same seeds and harvest whatever you planted that is okay. If deer just happen to eat there also that is permitted. You do need to cut and bail the crop. I read where one guy did just that and then left the bails in the field which you guessed it, it attracted more deer.

In my travels in Montana I always see deer. They are everywhere except during hunting season.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater