Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Coyotes

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Coyotes

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat May 22, 2021 1:45 pm

:twisted:

We have a lot of yotes running around the property, but they have only been nocturnal visitors up to now, and we haven't bothered with them since they haven't bothered the chickens and Miss T didn't have a calf on the ground. When the cow drops in November, we would have the stall enclosed for night protection.

Last week Miss T noticed four of her best laying hens missing. I moved one of the game cams up. The coop is secure at night, so?? Imagine our surprise to see a bold female coyote take a huge female hen at two in the afternoon as they were free ranging around the coop! :twisted:

Boom, dashed through the crowd, missed her on the first pass.

oops missed.jpg

Looped back and took her on the second. Other chickens looked stunned, then said, "Well, Bye." Went back to scratching.

Gotcha.jpg

My question... I looked for coyote calls on amazon, are the entry level coyote calls like this one worth bothering with:

https://www.amazon.com/ICOtec-GC300-Cal ... NrPXRydWU=

Or do you spend a bit more and get a lot more included calls, and the wavy tail lure. We know we have a half dozen coyotes regularly trotting thru. For now, Miss T has stopped free ranging the chickens. Due to my fractured left wrist, I won't be shooting, but Miss T and her CZ will handle the duties. Ask the Virginia Squirrels who tried to invade the coops for chicken feed. :evil: We don't plan to make a hobby of varmint shooting, just want to control the ones stealing our laying hens and who might later mess with the calves.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Coyotes

Post by JEBar » Sat May 22, 2021 2:32 pm

the call in your link has a 4.5 out of a perfect 5.0 based on 2,473 ratings .... that speaks well in my book
0 x

MuddyWaters62
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by MuddyWaters62 » Sat May 22, 2021 3:23 pm

Coyotes wise up pretty quick, so I would advise to get a caller that you can change sounds on quickly. We have a growing population of dogs here on the Red River. Not many still hunt them.
Good Luck, Marine.

Muddy Waters 67
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat May 22, 2021 5:49 pm

Good luck keeping up with them Marine.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

NHshtr
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by NHshtr » Sat May 22, 2021 8:07 pm

I've hunted coyotes out in the woods pretty successfully using an electronic call like that and found the rabbit in distress or lone coyote call pretty effective.
But it seems you have the perfect decoys that you can put out in a strong, secure cage big enough for the hens to get to the far end of. Put a couple in there and let them cluck. One of your thieves will come out and stand at the edge of the woods looking things over because of the cage, (they know there's something different) and you should be able to pop him before he makes a move.
Give the hens plenty of room to move inside the cage in the event the dog makes a run at them.
My guess is that there's more than one of them and they probably have pups to feed this time of year.
Good Luck.
3 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat May 22, 2021 10:01 pm

We have at least a half dozen identified on the game came, one huge male, the rest we suspect are females due to build and the way they move. Slinky as opposed to the bold way the male moves. There could be a young male or two in the group, and the numbers could be much higher.

We have several hundred acres around us in pasture and woodland, at night there are coyote concerts back and forth from all around. This is the first time we have seen a daylight raid.
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sun May 23, 2021 8:50 pm

>22 Magnum hollow point.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun May 23, 2021 9:20 pm

we have relatives in Minnesota who put them down out to 40 - 50 yards with a well placed shot using a CCI 22LR Mini Mag
2 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun May 23, 2021 11:27 pm

JEBar wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 9:20 pm
we have relatives in Minnesota who put them down out to 40 - 50 yards with a well placed shot using a CCI 22LR Mini Mag
I'm sure .22 will work at 50 yards but the shots she WAS planning were 75 to 100. If we get the call, we can set up the shots in the 50 to 60 yard rard.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon May 24, 2021 11:59 am

Just curious...how does one dispose of a dead coyote, or do they eat their own?
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry