Coyotes

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Coyotes

Post by markiver54 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:53 am

That is one good looking puppy!
Yours, that is.
Good on you for giving the animals a chance to adjust.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:00 am

Thanks Mark. A lot of the guys I hunt with are “kill every coyote and wolf you see” kind of guys. I on the other hand, prefer to actually think before I shoot. I’m not the type of person to shoot a sleeping pup just because he’s a coyote. If I were in the same scenario as BOM, and livestock etc was threatened, well, that’s a different situation.
2 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:24 pm

Redthies wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:00 am
Thanks Mark. A lot of the guys I hunt with are “kill every coyote and wolf you see” kind of guys. I on the other hand, prefer to actually think before I shoot. I’m not the type of person to shoot a sleeping pup just because he’s a coyote. If I were in the same scenario as BOM, and livestock etc was threatened, well, that’s a different situation.
We will only shoot the ones on the farm, just like the owners around us. If they stay off in the prairie, dining on rabbits, skunks, etc... Live long and prosper.
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:42 am

That’s my motto too! If they don’t bug me, I don’t bug them.
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:36 am

With the unexpected fall and injury, I never got to try the call or set up to control the yotes. The hand hasn't fully healed, but shooting off a rest I should be able to handle the new Ruger Ranch in 556.

I ordered the teaser/lure attachment for the coyote call yesterday. The coyote population had grown exponentially around us and calving is in progress on all the farms. Our cow is due to drop in the next month, but the neighbor has a dozen on the ground. The farmer up the road has two dozen new calves on the ground. Tina hasn't been able to free range her chickens since the coyotes cut a swath through them so many months ago, taking nearly two dozen out.

Two of the neighbors have told me to feel free to set up on the open acreage around their farms as well, because any "dog" dropped benefits us all. The game cams show the groups roaming all our farms. The Fish and Game site shows it legal to hunt the farm, even at night with a permit. Have to call the warden and get one, they are free. The coyotes individually can't / won't usually attack the cows or horses, but will take down a newborn calf. In addition, we have seen them cause the horses and cows to run around at night when they run thru the barn or pasture areas.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:43 am

Here is the latest release from Oklahoma Fish and Game:

Wildlife Department Offers Options to Landowners Dealing With Coyote Depredation
Coyotes are opportunistic predators and have adapted to many habitats, which can lead to more coyote sightings and related conflicts in some areas.

While coyotes mainly feed on mice, squirrels, rabbits, gophers, deer, some fruits, and carrion, some coyotes will take advantage of an opportunity to prey on small livestock and poultry. However, there are many methods available to address conflicts that might arise due to coyotes.

"We recognize the hard work and the great contributions of farmers and ranchers across the state, and we are eager to help them take care of any wildlife-related issues on their property," said J.D. Strong, Director of the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation. "I encourage landowners to call their local Game Warden if they are experiencing problems with coyotes, and we'll be happy to work through those issues with them on things like night-hunting permits, depredation permits or in connecting them with licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operators."

Depredation permits are issued by Game Wardens for agricultural damage or threat of damage to livestock of some type. Permit holders can use rifles, night-vision equipment, thermal scopes or snares (with a 10-inch stop). These depredation permits are good for up to one year or a set amount of time agreed to by the Game Warden and landowner, as some only want the permits during spring or fall calving seasons. Coyotes taken under this permit can be sold or traded. Property owners should be aware that some municipalities have more restrictive laws for firearms use within city limits.

Landowners can also kill coyotes at night with a shotgun and light by requesting a night-hunting permit from any Wildlife Department Game Warden. Shotguns with size 6 shot or smaller are legal means of take for these 24-hour night-hunting permits for coyotes.

Those who are having problems with coyotes affecting ranching or farming operations may also contact the Wildlife Services Division at the Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, Food and Forestry (ODAFF) for help in dealing with the situation. In some circumstances, ODAFF agents can come to the property to assist landowners with coyote problems. Those agents use a variety of control methods such as trapping, aerial shooting, and calling coyotes into firearms range. To contact ODAFF Wildlife Services Division, call (405) 521-4039.

Oklahoma has an open hunting season year-round for coyotes, with no daily, season or possession limits. Hunters need only a hunting license to take coyotes with any legal firearms or archery equipment at any time during daylight hours. Landowner or agriculture lessees do not need a hunting license when hunting on their own property.

Coyote trapping is legal throughout the year. Trappers are required to have a state hunting license and a state trapping license, unless exempt.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:48 am

In our neck of the woods, DNR is practically begging hunters to take coyotes. They are not native to our area. I have heard plenty when out hunting, but never seen one in the woods. I have seen a few crossing the road when I was driving, often in areas I though unlikely for them to be.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Mike_S
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mike_S » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:44 am

I know it's an old thread - BrokenolMarine how have you made out?
0 x
Semper Fidelis.
Mike
H012MX

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:02 am

Mike_S wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:44 am
I know it's an old thread - BrokenolMarine how have you made out?
Tina took out two around the coop, then stopped letting the chickens free range. We still see a large number of coyotes on the game cams in the north pasture and the orchard, but they no longer come up to the coop since there is nothing there for them. They sometimes cruise the lower barn, but there is nothing for them there either. We have four Guineas free ranging, but they have lasted six months. They can fly 40' up into the trees and are VERY skittish. They sleep in the barn on the railings between the cattle stalls, or between the cow and the back wall when it's cold. The cow HATES coyotes and would stomp them into mush. Guineas are pretty smart.

My thoughts on the coyotes still apply. As long as they stay away from the livestock and are just jumping rabbits and the like in the lower pasture, I'll leave them be. If I see them back up around the coop and upper barn, I'll start to sit out with the Ranch Rifle now that my left hand has healed. I can tell you that this past fall a pack of coyotes KILLED a cow that was laying down cleaning her calf on a farm about a mile from our place, then dragged off the newborn who hadn't gotten to it's feet yet. That farmer set his son's on a coyote purge on his farm... he has several hundred cows and had a bunch of calves on the ground and a bunch more due. He reported the incident to Fish and Game.

The drought has affected everything in the food chain and I'm guessing that the small game normally making up the bulk of the coyotes diet is getting scarce, making them bolder.

The other issue we face here are the feral dogs running in packs. People buy cute puppies, but they grow up to be Dogs and the people in small houses don't want to deal with Dogs, they aren't cute anymore. They turn them out and let them roam and fend for themselves. That in itself is a violation of the law. The packs also maul livestock, especially young calves, lambs, sheep, and fowl. :( Its not the feral dogs fault, but you can't expect these farmers to take the financial losses.
1 x

Mike_S
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mike_S » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:33 am

I feel the same way you do about the wild animals, they have a purpose and as long as they stay in their lane...

Feral dogs I have no patience or tolerance for. I have run across packs that have inflated egos - they don't seem to have the predator's sense to "see if it's doable", the few I have run across just bull their way into situations, that lucky for me, turned out not so lucky for them. I do agree it's not their fault, but that doesn't make up for their feral nature.

Would that I could locate the original owners. I'd almost be willing to trap the dogs and set them loose in their homes :twisted:
1 x
Semper Fidelis.
Mike
H012MX