Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Our dog’s last hunt

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Our dog’s last hunt

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:08 am

:(

As I mentioned in the morning coffee and weather topic we lost our 11 year old Golden Retriever Friday night. He was going downhill for a while but really fast the last few weeks. As a young dog he managed to destroy his ACL’s in both rear legs and he had surgery’s installing plates and screws in them. He always walked a bit funny after but it didn’t slow him down. He walked a bit like a bull-legged old cowboy might have back in the day. However this last year he started struggling getting up and about. He loved to go camping in our trailer but really struggled getting up the stairs into it. We got a ramp for him which helped considerably. This year he couldn’t get up and down the ramp without help so my wife and I would stand on both sides of it and help him. We recently took a two week trip to South Dakota and for the first time didn’t take him with us. Upon reflection we made the right decision, it would have been a struggle in and out of the truck and/or trailer several times daily.

So last Friday (two day ago) we wanted to go grouse hunting which he absolutely loved. He would ride in the bed of our UTV and be on high alert. We have several miles of timber company land roads we can drive on to look for grouse. (Yeah I know, pretty easy hunting) So we would cruise along and when we spotted a grouse picking gravel on the road we would stop and take the shot. Them I would let Massey (the dog) out and he would retrieve the bird. He had no training to do so other than just fetch at home but he did a great job with a soft mouth and would release the bird on command. He was particularly helpful if the bird made it into the timber.

We debating on taking him as we knew he was getting close to end of life but he was in good spirits and excited Friday morning so we decided to take him figuring it would be his last hunt. It was a cold rainy day and I only shot one grouse and didn’t let him out to retrieve it as it went into the timber and I knew it would be hard on his legs to go in there. He did get out twice for a walk around and we sure noticed the difference in his energy level, much less than last year.

We got home around dinner time and he just plopped down and wouldn’t move. At bedtime we did get him outside and he managed to do his business. He really struggled durning the night and most of the night either my wife or myself were laying on the floor with him giving him love. I kept telling him that it was okay to cross the bridge if the time was right. Last either of us were with him was around 3:30 and his breathing changed from labored to even and relaxed. When I got up at 5:00 he was gone. We had made the decision to take him to the vet for euthanasia Saturday morning but being the loyal dog he was he crossed the bridge on his own and saved all three of us the misery of a visit to the sterile vet office for the last minutes of his life. We took him to a pet crematorium and plan to bury his ashes along with our first Golden Retriever’s ashes next to our cat’s grave (lost last year to an owl) in a nice area next to our backyard.

Yesterday was a miserable day for my wife and I, very fatigued both mentally and physically. We’re both up very early today and doing much better however as I type this I’m getting all choked up again. But I’m sure this is good for grieving. I’m going to attach a couple of pics, first one when he was just a year old with his first grouse and another from a hunting trip last year. I may post some more as I run across them.

Massey (Ferguson) was a loyal wonderful companion and a member of the family equal to my wife and I. RIP buddy! :(
5BFC50E8-6E1C-49CE-BEB6-33D02D68D713.jpeg
E042CE90-0814-4941-B67A-B7F975104085.jpeg
AFF301E7-662C-4BEA-8874-48833B50BF91.jpeg
097C5669-1B7A-49F7-B016-FE81552EB035.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Hatchdog on Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
3 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Our dog’s last hunt

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:16 am

I feel your pain, having been there more often than I like. It always hurts, but then I look back and think how lucky I was to have had such friends. Thank you for sharing.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:25 am

heck of a pup .... thanks for telling his story ... he will live on in happy memories that will be treasured over time
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:18 am

RIP Massey thanks for sharing Hatch
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Team Roper » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:39 am

So sorry for your loss. Here is a poem that I fell back on when I lost my Weimaraner that was my hunting companion many years ago. It's called a Dog's Plea. I hope it comes through for you.
http://carol10.com/a-dogs-plea.html
0 x
Army Paratrooper
173 rd Airborne Brigade, 2nd/503 rd. Airborne Infantry, Vietnam 66-67, point man, tunnel rat
combat jump 2/67
82 nd Airborne Div. 1st/505th Airborne Infantry, Vietnam, 68, Sniper
jumped with the Army Parachute Team, The Golden Knights.

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:07 pm

Thanks for sharing this moving story of his life, last hunt, and photos with us. He was a beautiful dog. I'm so sorry for your loss.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

EasyEd
Cowhand
Canada

Post by EasyEd » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:30 pm

Hey All,

So sorry for your loss. Beautiful dog. RIP Massey. It's always sad when this happens. I've been through it twice with my labradors in the last near 40 years. The only thing that really helps is time. The pain passes the memories never will. For us the last was two years ago. We couldn't even think about another dog for awhile but now I've a deposit on a pointing lab puppy in Montana early next year if the border ever opens.

-Ed-
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:34 pm

Sorry for your loss. It’s always hard to lose a good friend.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:16 pm

Sorry to hear. Been there with dogs, cats and horses.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:45 pm

Sorry hatch. A good dog is a treasure in life. Be at peace.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.