Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Verizon Phone and Internet Service

If you can give it, or need it, post here
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Verizon Phone and Internet Service

Post by JEBar » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:37 am

years ago we found out that in our travels throughout the country Verizon's phone and internet service provided us with coverage most everywhere .... we use their MIFI7730L 4G JetPack Hot Spots for our internet service .... sadly after getting caught under a chair rocker the screen on our MIFI to shatter .... interestingly enough, it still works .... we took it over to our local Verizon store where we were reminded that we have a service contract that will replace it .... every time we visit a Verizon store we make it a practice to have them review our coverage and hadn't done so in almost 3 years .... history has demonstrated that competition among such providers is pretty intense and the trend has been for them to increase coverage and/or decrease the price to attract customers .... we also know that they will not let you know if/when do so, the only way to find out is to ask .... once again, we are glad we did .... our former plan had 24 gigs of data on our MIFI .... unlimited on my flip phone Wink ;) and Maureen's Iphone ... without getting into detail, we now have unlimited on the MIFI and phones and the cost of our plan went down just under $50 a month .... having an unlimited MIFI we will be able to link our DISH TV service to the internet .... that alone opens up a wide range of movie opportunities ....
4 x

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Verizon Phone and Internet Service

Post by Ernie » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:24 pm

I bought a new phone outright from Verison and brought it home to discover I could not get a signal from their system at my house. After a week of them checking the signal at my home by sending a truck, they refunded my money and told me to keep the phone. I tried to give it back because it would be worthless to me but they said it was used and I should keep it. I gave it to my Father in Indy and he used it for several years. They do back up their products.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:28 pm

as promised, the replacement MIFI arrived today .... all that was required to put it into service was to remove the SIM card and battery from our old MIFI and insert them into the replacement .... after a couple of minutes loading an upgrade the replacement went right to work .... we are relieved that it turned out to be so simple to handle this replacement
1 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:27 am

Guess it all depends on your location. We had Verizon some years ago and their internet service was terrible in our neighborhood due to frequent connection outages and a slow speed. They never completed the Fios in our city. We had Direct TV also as part of package and that had weather issues with signal.
So only choice was to Comcast cable which now carries all our TV and internet needs.Good signal and reliability but is expensive due to no competition in the area....monopoly.
Now Verizon does have a great cell phone signal which we use.

Now here is a true story with Verizon Tech repair.... Some years ago our Verizon internet was out again but some folks along our street had it as it was spotty outages that would change by the week. I was sitting outside at a neighbors house 3 doors down and that neighbor had no internet signal but his neighbor right next door did and he was boasting about it.
So the Verizon repair tech shows up and said the problem was a bad repeater board down the road at a pole junction box which is filled with boards for different groups of homes. He said he replaced the board and my buddy had is signal back.
Now the funny part...My buddy's next door neighbor who was boasting about his internet signal went in his house after tech left and found HIS internet was out! We found out that the Tech simply swapped out the circuit boards taking somebody elses good board and switching it out with the bad one!!!!
It just so happened to be the neighbors circuit!! :lol:
Seems the Techs didn't have enough new replacement boards due to budgets and just pass the problem along to somebody else!!
We all had a good laugh and some beer with that one!! :lol: Soon we all switched to Comcast.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:16 pm

all of our business with Verizon has been wireless .... with us being on the road about 6 months a year we needed phone and internet service that was available to us most anywhere .... way back then, that left us with two choices, Alltel and AT&T ..... we ended up going with Alltel and their service was fine .... when they became Verizon, we stayed with them .... over the years we've often had a weak phone signal in places where our internet signal remained strong .... this will be the first time we've had unlimited data and do hope having it will allow us to maximize our DISH service
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:12 pm

UPDATE :

yesterday we visited our local Verizon store where we upgraded our MIFI discussed above to an Inseego MIFI X Pro 5G ===> https://inseego.com/products/mobile/mifi-x-pro/ .... I'll be the first to admit that I don't have a clue as to what makes it better than the once we've been using .... guess we'll find that out in time .... the first time we will use it will be while we are camped by our son's home during Christmas .... per the Verizon person we spoke with, it is considerably more powerful than our first one .... it will be used heavily from late May through August in South Dakota where our MIFI signal strength isn't all that strong .... I'd appreciate impression and comments from any of our folks have experience using one of these units
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:24 pm

I have no experience with it myself.
But looking at the spec sheet, you should see faster webpage performance and downloads when connected to a 5G cellular network. If 5G isn't available it falls back to 4G speeds. If 4G isn't available, it falls back to 3G.

Looks like Verizon 5G in SD is Sioux Falls only.
https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/G ... verage-map
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:10 pm

for what we do with a computer, 4G is plenty fast and works just fine .... 3G is pretty dang slow ....
0 x