Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Need new laptop

If you can give it, or need it, post here
TMB
Cowhand
United States of America

Need new laptop

Post by TMB » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:50 am

I need a new laptop. I haven't looked at computers in 10 years. What is the latest greatest processor? Hard drive? Monitor and graphics card?
0 x
Henry H004ES Golden Boy Eagle Scout Tribute
Henry H004 Golden Boy .22 cal
Henry H006C Big Boy Classic .45 Colt

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong.” ... John Gierach

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Need new laptop

Post by JEBar » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:08 am

we just went through the process of selecting and purchasing 2 new laptops last weekend .... my attitude about such purchases has long been, I don't need to know how to build a Frig in order to use one .... can't help you with any of the specifics you mentioned, I have no clue what is in ours .... what we do is pretty simple .... in recent years we have purchased from Best Buy .... we do so because we've found we can get help (when needed) in most places we visit .... I go in and ask one of their Geeks for help ..... I tell them what I need a computer to do and ask them what the recommend .... I also ask them about the lines they find they have to work on the most/least often .... they don't work in sales but, so far, they have listened and at my request taken me to their sales area where they introduce us to a sales person (who they can recommend) and recommend certain computers for the sales person to show us .... so far, doing this has worked well for us and we are both very happy with our new machines
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:20 pm

For general purpose use I would recommend at a minimum, an Intel i5 core10, HD touch screen display minimum 4GB ram and minimum disk size 256GB SSD. Models in the HP and Samsung product line are reliable/durable. Think about if you want one that can also be used as a tablet when the display is 360' folded back behind the keyboard.

If you are just interested in something for internet use take a look at Chromebooks. They are basically a hardware version of the Chrome browser software. They also use a customized version of the Android OS.

There are Apple products as well, my exposure to their hardware is limited. As far as IOS, it's cumbersome to navigate efficiently. But users on this forum will tell you that you can get used to it.
TMB wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:50 am
I need a new laptop. I haven't looked at computers in 10 years. What is the latest greatest processor? Hard drive? Monitor and graphics card?
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

TMB
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TMB » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:27 am

I have looked around and decided on a Dell Inspiron 5000.
Platinum Silver Palmrest with Finger Print Reader
DW1810/QCA9377 Wireless Driver
Backlit Keyboard, English
3-Cell Battery, 42WHr (Integrated)
802.11ac 1x1 WiFi and Bluetooth
15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) LED-Backlit Touch Narrow Border WVA Display
256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive
Intel(R) UHD Graphics with shared graphics memory
Windows 10 Home (64bit) English
10th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.6 GHz)

Thanks mags for the information. The i5 processor is a good work horse and will be perfect for my intended use. I up graded the basic model by adding a touch screen so it works like a tablet and my phone.
1 x

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong.” ... John Gierach

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:15 pm

Your welcome. Very good feature set there. 👍
TMB wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:27 am
I have looked around and decided on a Dell Inspiron 5000.
Platinum Silver Palmrest with Finger Print Reader
DW1810/QCA9377 Wireless Driver
Backlit Keyboard, English
3-Cell Battery, 42WHr (Integrated)
802.11ac 1x1 WiFi and Bluetooth
15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) LED-Backlit Touch Narrow Border WVA Display
256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive
Intel(R) UHD Graphics with shared graphics memory
Windows 10 Home (64bit) English
10th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.6 GHz)

Thanks mags for the information. The i5 processor is a good work horse and will be perfect for my intended use. I up graded the basic model by adding a touch screen so it works like a tablet and my phone.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:32 pm

I need one also. Mine is going to die any day.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

TMB
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TMB » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:31 am

Sir Henry wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:32 pm
Dell makes good computers. The last one I had lasted 10 years. Their prices are reasonable. The one I ordered was priced at $559 and I added $50 for the upgrade to touchscreen and $50 for one year premium support. Add tax and my total cost is only $711. I ordered my new one on 1/30/20 it will be here on 2/520.

One good thing about Dell is you can delete most of the trial software without much trouble. I will get Microsoft office 365 direct from Microsoft. That way if I get a computer from Toshiba or HP in the future I'm not dealing with Dell for software.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:10 pm

TMB wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:31 am
Sir Henry wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:32 pm
Dell makes good computers. The last one I had lasted 10 years. Their prices are reasonable. The one I ordered was priced at $559 and I added $50 for the upgrade to touchscreen and $50 for one year premium support. Add tax and my total cost is only $711. I ordered my new one on 1/30/20 it will be here on 2/520.

One good thing about Dell is you can delete most of the trial software without much trouble. I will get Microsoft office 365 direct from Microsoft. That way if I get a computer from Toshiba or HP in the future I'm not dealing with Dell for software.
I own a ten year old Dell now. It’s okay and I would certainly buy another Dell. My problem is I don’t want to rebuy programs like office and Photoshop which I already own.
2 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

TMB
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TMB » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:24 pm

I don't want to buy programs again either that is my reason for taking a subscription with Microsoft for offi e. It is renewable on an annual basis for $69.95. I don't use Photoshop.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:10 pm

MS Office Home and Student can be bought for between $100 and $120. A good quality computer should last 3-5 years. Going with Office 365 only makes sense if someone replaces their computer every year. I know it's galling to buy programs again, but is still less expensive for MS Office.

For me, I quit MS Office for personal use. I currently use LibreOffice. https://www.libreoffice.org/ It's free and MS Office file compatible.
TMB wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:24 pm
I don't want to buy programs again either that is my reason for taking a subscription with Microsoft for office. It is renewable on an annual basis for $69.95. I don't use Photoshop.
1 x