Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Laptop

If you can give it, or need it, post here
Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: New Laptop

Post by Mags » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:24 am

Feature specs don't reflect durability. I hope the C740 chassis is a lot more rigid/durable than their products I'm familiar with. The Lenovo I bought for my wife was bought online. I was disappointed in how flimsy the plastic chassis parts were and didn't think it would hold up for long. One of the first things to go was the lettering on the keys of the keyboard. Then the display quit working. Fortunately, it still worked with an external display, so I was able to recover all my wife's files.
JEBar wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:46 pm
the fellow who we were told is the head of their computer area showed us the HP like the one you noted .... he said that the Lenovo and HP were built with almost identical specs .... the Lenovo was priced about $30 more than the HP .... he said that they haven't had any problems to speak of with either of them .... we spent a good while going from one to the other and from what I could see, there wasn't much difference between them .... I can already tell that this new one has the best battery of any laptop that I've ever owned
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:00 am

time will tell .... understood on the flimsy plastic .... my last one cost around half of what I paid for the new one ... by direct contrast, the new one is much heavier duty .... my wife bought an HP ... it wasn't cheap .... worked great last night .... this morning the only option to connect to the internet is airplane mode .... contacted Geek support on mine .... was quickly told to take it back to the store this morning .... :roll:
0 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:18 am

My daughter works for Lenovo and for Christmas she gave me and the wife a new laptop. It is not the highest end of their line but since I only use it for surfing ,it is fine. Battery last a really long time and charges up in about 15 minutes. Completely happy with it. BTW. Lenovo sold about 1 billion dollars worth of units during Black Friday. That was just in North America. She and her team spent all night monitoring the various Lenovo web sites for problems and there were a few. She was one tired gal when it was all over. She said that her area exceeded their goals and bonuses will be nice. :D
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:41 pm

our morning got off to a bit of an unwelcome surprise .... after breakfast we cut on our new computers and Maureen's wouldn't connect to our MIFI .... about all I could tell was that for internet it was in "Airplane" mode and I couldn't figure out any way to change it .... a program came with our computers that provides us with 24 hr tech support from Best Buy's Geek Squad .... I contacted them using my computer and when I told the fellow about the problem he immediately said we needed to take it right back to the store .... we were there shortly after they opened at 10AM .... their head Geek happened to be at the counter and immediately fired up her computer .... it didn't take him but a few seconds to diagnose the problem and and additional minute or so to fix it .... as best I understand there was a glitch in the software that controls connecting to the internet .... he had to connect the computer to their Ethernet and through that connection he was able to fix the problem .... the good news is, its worked well every since
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:14 pm

Gotta love those Geeks right Jim.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:47 pm

I most certainly admit that I was impressed with the young lady Geek Squad member who helped us in the store .... they aren't supposed to get into sales but, after talking with here for a while, I asked her to help us .... all I'll say about that is, it appears that the old saying, "The customer is always right." still holds true .... well at least it did when they learned we were there to purchase 2 laptops .. ;) .. she was also the one who put in the time and effort to move the data off of our old computers and install it in the new ones .... the head Geek who worked on my wife's this morning was also impressive in how quickly he diagnosed the problem and fixed it .... can't say the same for the one I exchanged info with over my computer .... he was correct in what he recommended but he didn't come across as caring much one way or the other .... :roll:
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:53 pm

The Wiz wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:18 am
Battery last a really long time and charges up in about 15 minutes. Completely happy with it.
good to hear you are happy with yours .... haven't timed it but the battery on mine last about 6 hrs which is the longest I've ever had a computer batter to go between charges .... also haven't timed the recharge but it takes over 15 minutes .... do you know if you are supposed to run it way down between charging :?:
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:54 pm

Lithium Ion batteries don't need to be run down before recharging. What you don't want to do is store run down Li-ion batteries. What little charge is left will leak away over time and if the battery goes into 'under-charge' it won't be rechargeable.
JEBar wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:53 pm
The Wiz wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:18 am
Battery last a really long time and charges up in about 15 minutes. Completely happy with it.
good to hear you are happy with yours .... haven't timed it but the battery on mine last about 6 hrs which is the longest I've ever had a computer batter to go between charges .... also haven't timed the recharge but it takes over 15 minutes .... do you know if you are supposed to run it way down between charging :?:
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:15 pm

info appreciated .... are they safe to charge overnight :?:
0 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:19 pm

Yes, I plug mine in sometimes for a couple of days.
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856