Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Laptop

If you can give it, or need it, post here
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

New Laptop

Post by JEBar » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:00 pm

well, once again, I've had to replace my laptop .... the short of it is, its case had gotten brittle and cracked in three different places .... JB Weld's "Super Weld" proved to work pretty well .... Saturday morning I turned it on and got the "dreaded blue screen" .... took it to the nearest Best Buy .... yes, they could have sent it off and had it fixed but the reality was the case was so brittle that repairing it made no sense .... it was a low end (read that cheap) Lenovo .... it performed well, only real complaint .... that being the built in speaker was next to useless .... I looked at several and ended up buying a Lenovo YOGA C740 .... it is a much higher level, higher duty computer and has an aluminum case, touch screen that can be folded back to turn the laptop into a notebook .... being comfortable with its general layout was a significant factor
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: New Laptop

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:02 pm

Welcome back....
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:04 pm

Never heard of such a problem, but glad you got it resolved!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:12 pm

Nice to see you got the new one fired up. Hope they got all your info transferred and the learning curve is short.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:25 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:04 pm
Never heard of such a problem, but glad you got it resolved!

new to me as well and I asked about it ..... apparently its not uncommon for it to happen to heavily uses laptops .... one theory is over time the heat buildup inside the computer makes some sections of the plastic case brittle
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:30 pm

RanchRoper wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:02 pm
Welcome back....

thanks .... happy to be back ....
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:36 pm

I think the mfr should give you some restitution, however, don't know how old the LT was. The wife uses hers quite a bit, but no signs of screen damage. Hey...I guess it is what it is. Glad Ya got it taken care of.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:15 pm

Like yours, Jim, my last PC was a low-end Lenovo. I recall how very warm (almost hot) it got on the bottom through regular use. I didn't end up with your issue, but decided to try and get away from Windows 10 & MS software.

I was able to do that and I've been using an Acer Chromebook. I'd forgotten one thing about its construction. There is no heat generated by this unit. I'd have to look up the basis for that "improvement," but it is kind of a cool 8-) thing.

BTW, I'm certain with all your travels your computer(s) are well-used and have hit those same bumps in the road you guys do. Glad you're running again.

Bob
0 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:27 pm

Lenovo laptops are not particularly durable, even the higher end ones. Place I used to work quit using them a short while after IBM sold the product line to Lenovo. My wife's Lenovo finally died last April and I replaced it with a newer model of my HP laptop. A 2019 Flagship HP Pavilion X360 2-in-1, full HD IPS Touchscreen Business Laptop. Like the Lenovo Yoga the HP x360 has the touch screen that can be folded back to make it a tablet.
JEBar wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:00 pm
well, once again, I've had to replace my laptop .... the short of it is, its case had gotten brittle and cracked in three different places .... JB Weld's "Super Weld" proved to work pretty well .... Saturday morning I turned it on and got the "dreaded blue screen" .... took it to the nearest Best Buy .... yes, they could have sent it off and had it fixed but the reality was the case was so brittle that repairing it made no sense .... it was a low end (read that cheap) Lenovo .... it performed well, only real complaint .... that being the built in speaker was next to useless .... I looked at several and ended up buying a Lenovo YOGA C740 .... it is a much higher level, higher duty computer and has an aluminum case, touch screen that can be folded back to turn the laptop into a notebook .... being comfortable with its general layout was a significant factor
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:46 pm

Mags wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:27 pm
Lenovo laptops are not particularly durable, even the higher end ones. Place I used to work quit using them a short while after IBM sold the product line to Lenovo. My wife's Lenovo finally died last April and I replaced it with a newer model of my HP laptop. A 2019 Flagship HP Pavilion X360 2-in-1, full HD IPS Touchscreen Business Laptop. Like the Lenovo Yoga the HP x360 has the touch screen that can be folded back to make it a tablet.
the fellow who we were told is the head of their computer area showed us the HP like the one you noted .... he said that the Lenovo and HP were built with almost identical specs .... the Lenovo was priced about $30 more than the HP .... he said that they haven't had any problems to speak of with either of them .... we spent a good while going from one to the other and from what I could see, there wasn't much difference between them .... I can already tell that this new one has the best battery of any laptop that I've ever owned
0 x